free website stats program 2009 Ultra Classic Shifting | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Ultra Classic Shifting

guarddan

Hello, i just picked up my 09 ultra and is it normal that it really makes a clunking noise when shifting it into 1st gear when it is just warmed up? It is better after riding it a bit. Thanks

Normal your hearing the compensator do its thing.. you can blip the throttle once or twice then shift into first and most of the clunk is gone

Harleys clunk when going into gear and usually when shifting too. What you can to to lessen it is pull in the clutch handle and hesitate before dropping it into gear a second or two. It should click in then instead of banging in.

Clutch adjustment and the viscosity of the primary fluid play a big part in it too.

Hello, i just picked up my 09 ultra and is it normal that it really makes a clunking noise when shifting it into 1st gear when it is just warmed up? It is better after riding it a bit. Thanks

When your fluid is cool and thick, you will get some hydraulic drag on the clutch disks that will be putting load on the transmission. That coupled with the compensator clunk is definitely more of a pronounced clunk until the fluids warm up. But I have found that if I roll the bike out of the garage and down the driveway, the clunk is much less and even just a click.

TQ

Back