2009 Nightster Smoke from engine in High Traffic

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by junyongmin, Jun 16, 2015.

1. junyongmin

junyongmin New Member

Hello Everyone. I recently purchased HD 2009 Nightster and went out for a quick. When heading home, I got stuck in high traffic and I started to notice fume/smoke coming out of engine area. I did not notice this when I was riding with less traffic perhaps due to sufficient air cooling but spending 5-10 mins in high traffic I started to notice the smoke. What would be the cause of this? I have been reading several forums but it appears that I might have to change to synthetic oil or there could be an issue with gaskets in valve stems. I wonder any of you had similar issues and how you managed to mitigate the issue. Any feedbacks would be much appreciated. Thank you and have a safe ride.
  2. trike lady

trike lady Junior Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    When the bike is parked overnight do you see any traces of oil around joining areas where there would be a gasket?
  3. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

Also check air cleaner and breather hoses.
  4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Wash the engine down good, put in the dye start it up and use a box fan blowing on the engine look for leaks I bet the rear rocker box is leaking oil and may be burning on the exhaust