free website stats program 2009 Nightster Smoke from engine in High Traffic | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Nightster Smoke from engine in High Traffic

junyongmin

Hello Everyone. I recently purchased HD 2009 Nightster and went out for a quick. When heading home, I got stuck in high traffic and I started to notice fume/smoke coming out of engine area. I did not notice this when I was riding with less traffic perhaps due to sufficient air cooling but spending 5-10 mins in high traffic I started to notice the smoke. What would be the cause of this? I have been reading several forums but it appears that I might have to change to synthetic oil or there could be an issue with gaskets in valve stems. I wonder any of you had similar issues and how you managed to mitigate the issue. Any feedbacks would be much appreciated. Thank you and have a safe ride.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
When the bike is parked overnight do you see any traces of oil around joining areas where there would be a gasket?

tp-3090-0001dye-lite.jpg

Wash the engine down good, put in the dye start it up and use a box fan blowing on the engine look for leaks I bet the rear rocker box is leaking oil and may be burning on the exhaust

Back