free website stats program 2009 FLHX Exhaust Problems | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 FLHX Exhaust Problems

OK, let's see if anyone else is experiencing this. The 2009 FLHX 2-1-2 exhaust system on my bike is passing about 90% of the exhasut, noise and gases, out the left side only. Now I only have 350 miles on it and intend on taking to the dealer but I'm guessing its going to be a battle to get them to do anything. Particularly if its a design flaw. I'm not apposed to the sound as the mufflers aren't too loud but they do have some sound. Much more and the radio would be washed out.
Let me know if anyone else has seen this!

Thanks

I've read that the left side muffler is a ghost muffler. If I were to get the Vance and Hines Monster Ovals and Power Duals would they be true duals?

Motordad

No it is not. I'm in Denver.

My fear is you are correct. After spending what i did on the bike, love it, I dodn't think its right I have to pay for design errors. I'm going to try and get the dealer to correct it. May not be possible as is.

Yeah understood but this is extremely unbalanced. I'm going to drop by the dealership today and see what I can get from them.

Well this case its the right side but some exhaust does exit. I'd definately like to have true duals but that will ahve to wait a while $$$$ :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Look on e-bay.theres a guy there that sell,s a true dual front pipe,that looks stock,a buddy just put one on his 09 sg, for around $ 130.00 looks and sounds great,,,ride safe.

This may be a long shot, but you never know till you ask. I understand that ECM will shut one of the cylinders down when the bike gets hot and is idling. Could the rear cylinder, the left exhaust side, be depositing stuff in the muffler? Possibly making the left muffler appear to be smoking a little more than the right side? I too have noticed that my right muffler looks like it is expelling more gas, but i have only based my conclusion on a visual inspection. I will look closer after work.

Very cool! Thanks. Right now it is at the dealer finally. Noisy fuel pump, lpugged exhaust and the topper...I paid many extra $$$ for a HD chromee front end and chrome calipers, and had it lowered with an HD kit. Everything was fine early on it road like a dream. When I took it in, the front end is beginning to feel like I'm riding on marbles! Not bad but definately looser than I like it.

Appreciate the info. I'll check that out! Good price.

No didn't try pulling the muffler. Sine this bike is an 09 and has 400 miles on it, I'm not stickin a wrench on it. I did have that thought though. My guess is, it's in the sho for 2 days now and they've not touched it yet, that the area of the haed pipes where they merge into one has some flaws in that casting that may not have been trimmed away OR the baffle in that one muffler is screwed up. They don't have fibergalss wrapping do they?
To clarify, no its not the primary side. I was referring to me sitting on the bike. My ride side sitting...fuel injector side of the bike. The left one is black as tar from soot the right one as clean as it came off the showroom floor! We'll see what they find. I too never really gave much thought to going to true duals but...I know my way around engines, grew up with a dad who built Indy cars, and win things are unbalanced or don't breathe efficiently, you loose power, gain heat and wear prematurely.

Thanks for the info!

No didn't try pulling the muffler. Sine this bike is an 09 and has 400 miles on it, I'm not stickin a wrench on it. I did have that thought though. My guess is, it's in the sho for 2 days now and they've not touched it yet, that the area of the haed pipes where they merge into one has some flaws in that casting that may not have been trimmed away OR the baffle in that one muffler is screwed up. They don't have fibergalss wrapping do they?
To clarify, no its not the primary side. I was referring to me sitting on the bike. My ride side sitting...fuel injector side of the bike. The left one is black as tar from soot the right one as clean as it came off the showroom floor! We'll see what they find. I too never really gave much thought to going to true duals but...I know my way around engines, grew up with a dad who built Indy cars, and win things are unbalanced or don't breathe efficiently, you loose power, gain heat and wear prematurely.

Thanks for the info!
It's only money.......and money don't satisfy.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back