free website stats program 2008 Starter problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Starter problem

tunes

Help, Was having issues with the bike sounding funny on start. wouldnt crank right away almost a slight hesitation then it would turn over. Runs fine once started. Had the battery checked under load and its ok.
Went to try it this morning and this is the sound I'm getting? Starter? thanks for any suggestions.

What do you mean you had battery checked under load. Was it removed from bike charge to proper level then bench load tested????
Last week my 2008 which has been running fine exhibited same noise replaced OE battery now fine.
Is that the battery charging beeping in back ground?

Put a meter on positive post @ starter if you do not have at least 12.5 volts it aint going to start, when you push the start button I bet your voltage drops below 10 volts Bad Battery

Sounds like a weak battery to me also. Being an 08, should be on the second battery by now and ready for a new 1.

You've been given great advice on earlier post about the battery. My 07 bit the dust earlier and sounded exactly the same. Pulled the battery had it fully charged and tested by a guy that ONLY sells batteries and it failed. Replaced it and ain't looked back.

Thanks for the response guys. This is my 2nd, maybe 3rd battery. I pulled it out of the bike, took it to a battery guy who put it on his load
meter, explained if it was bad what would happen. Left it there for full minute and didnt change? I will try checking voltage at the starter post. I can see where might be battery since it sounded worse after he had done the load test. thanks

Unfortunately for you the guy testing did not give you a answer. He explained what would happen but did not tell you if battery is good or bad it appears. When he load tested battery did it fail the CCA test. You have answered your own question by stating after he load tested bike is acting worse. Get your self a new battery with a minimum 400 CCA. If you do not have a battery tender of some sort get one and lead for tender to install with new battery and have at it.... My self, every time I come back from a ride I plug in tender which I believe is why I got 8+ years and 30,000 plus miles on OE battery...

Well it is the battery as you all predicted. I hate that I took it to what I thought was a good battery guy and he missed it.
Jack with my meter at the starter when cranking battery dropping to 10V. Going to pick one up tomorrow. Thanks

Well it is the battery as you all predicted. I hate that I took it to what I thought was a good battery guy and he missed it.
Jack with my meter at the starter when cranking battery dropping to 10V. Going to pick one up tomorrow. Thanks

Love it when a plan comes together! Best site on the web...Right?

Great news! These guys are the best. :) It is amazing to me, how we common folks will take our equipment to people who, basically do this every day, but, they essentially fail you by not taking care of you, and yet still charge you. THEN, you go to a forum like this full of GREAT people, and they can get you on the right track with some basic tips they are kind enough to share, both their knowledge & their time! I know this for a fact, because they have helped me on several occasions. ;)

Back