free website stats program 2008 roadking-hit bump started running only at wOT | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 roadking-hit bump started running only at wOT

jarhead1

While returning from a trip in CO mountains,hit a slight bump in road which killed engine unless I Kept it a full throttle in first which gave me 15 mph...limped it to a friends house for now but need to go check out. It was at night so Didn't get a chance to look for the obvious. Anyone know what in the electronics could cause this symptom? I think I heard a small clunk possibly when bump hit, not positive on that. It fires up and seems to run good until its put in gear which and seems to derate itself with problem described and engine light comes on. I saw a thread where you can pull up codes thru radio but mines a roadking classic 2008 with no display. Did get some code meanings from a 2010 roadglide I believe and downloaded to laptop and need to get back to bike which is an hour away. Any ideas from anybody because I surely cant afford a Harley dealership visit at this point and am hoping to repair myself. I do have a full set of tools if I can figure out some testing points and how Harley does their specifics. I would appreciate any info I could get from a sharing soul out there........... :bigsmiley25:

While returning from a trip in CO mountains,hit a slight bump in road which killed engine unless I Kept it a full throttle in first which gave me 15 mph...limped it to a friends house for now but need to go check out. It was at night so Didn't get a chance to look for the obvious. Anyone know what in the electronics could cause this symptom? I think I heard a small clunk possibly when bump hit, not positive on that. It fires up and seems to run good until its put in gear which and seems to derate itself with problem described and engine light comes on. I saw a thread where you can pull up codes thru radio but mines a roadking classic 2008 with no display. Did get some code meanings from a 2010 roadglide I believe and downloaded to laptop and need to get back to bike which is an hour away. Any ideas from anybody because I surely cant afford a Harley dealership visit at this point and am hoping to repair myself. I do have a full set of tools if I can figure out some testing points and how Harley does their specifics. I would appreciate any info I could get from a sharing soul out there........... :bigsmiley25:

Harley Codes - Fuel Moto This will spit the trouble codes out for you, Welcome to The Forum

Looking at the breather there is a wiring harness and plug on the left side plugged into the throttle body. Unplug the harness, the clip in on the back side of the plug, clean it and put some die-electric grease on it. Plug it back in and give it a shot. Let us know how it worked out..

Redfish JOe and Capital Jack..............appreciate the quick advice.....after getting ready to dig in to bike found that the ECM connector under the seat became unlatched causing issue......simple fix......cruising Sporty in meantime......Hope my issue may help another save some dollars

Thanks for getting back to us with the solution. Glad you found it and are back in the wind.

I might add when I started to check bike out...new symptoms showed as a no start and fuel pump circuit not cycling which in my mind had me checking connections.....bought electrical book etc....preparing for more .....problem occurred at night on last couple of miles of ride and took me this long to get back to it......always look for the obvious is sometimes overlooked is my lesson....could've been back and running that night......go figure

You bet...... am a mechanic by trade and am going to take this opportunity to look over the systems and become a little more savy about the new Harleys.....as well as, see what other things are on this forum.....seems to be pretty cool

Last edited by a moderator:
Back