free website stats program 2007 Road King Seat | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Road King Seat

Mako

My 2007 Road King's seat is only comfortable for about 100 miles and then I have to stop. I hop around a parking lot somewhere for about ten minutes to get the blood moving in my butt, then repeat the process until I get where I'm going. I've been looking at replacing my seat with a HD Comfort stitch (PN 51703-05) and I like the deeper bucket to (hopefully) provide a little better lower back support.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this seat or could provide suggestions on something similar...

The sundowner deep bucket is a very comfy seat for the RKC. I tried one on mine but the height was about an inch higher than the stock seat so I removed it but it was very comfortable never the less with great back support.

The only problem I can see with a higher seat may be when I have to back the thing "uphill" where traction may be limited (grave, sand,etc.). I'm almost 6' tall, so the additional height may not be a factor. I'm searching area HD dealers that have the seat and handlebar try-out contraption, so I can actually sit in some seats and make an informed decision.

However, the most important factor of all is the passenger comfort factor. If she ain't happy, I'm not allowed to be happy.....

The only problem I can see with a higher seat may be when I have to back the thing "uphill" where traction may be limited (grave, sand,etc.). I'm almost 6' tall, so the additional height may not be a factor. I'm searching area HD dealers that have the seat and handlebar try-out contraption, so I can actually sit in some seats and make an informed decision.

However, the most important factor of all is the passenger comfort factor. If she ain't happy, I'm not allowed to be happy.....

I hear you there...

The sundowner has a wider passenger pad too so you may be in luck.:D

Never thought about the "try out" gizmo myself, great idea.

The sundowner deep bucket is a very comfy seat for the RKC. I tried one on mine but the height was about an inch higher than the stock seat so I removed it but it was very comfortable never the less with great back support.
I've got Sundowners for mine and the wife's Dynas when we take trips, riding local I ride a Badlander and she likes the stock LowRider seat.
Father n law rides a sundowner full time on his RKC, he's 78 and has no problem doing 600-700 mile days on it.

Stock Harley seats will all do just what you described after about 100 miles. I have tried the sundowner seat a got a little better results but still not what I want to spend all day on. I know they are quite pricey but I have not found a seat that can compare to the Corbin seat. I had one on my Roadking and now on my ElectraGlide. My wife has one on her Dyna as well. Oh, did I mention that my passenger would not ride on the back of anything but the Corbin? I guess thats why she wanted her own on the Dyna. We did close to 1000 miles one day on our return trip from Sturgis with no complaints. I know it's all personal preferrence but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hope you find one that fits.

We made a run to the Dothan, AL dealership and they had the contraption to try out the seats as well as a very helpful and patient parts counter person. I tried the Sundowner and ended up getting the Sundowner Reach. The extra inch or two in the back pushes me closer to the handlebars and allows me to sit more upright and not hunch over so much. It doesn't have as much padding as I was anticipating though. And while the new seat has new "butt pressure points" that I'll have to get used to, I think the additional lower back support will help in the long run.

Thanks for your suggestions...

My 2007 Road King's seat is only comfortable for about 100 miles and then I have to stop. I hop around a parking lot somewhere for about ten minutes to get the blood moving in my butt, then repeat the process until I get where I'm going. I've been looking at replacing my seat with a HD Comfort stitch (PN 51703-05) and I like the deeper bucket to (hopefully) provide a little better lower back support.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this seat or could provide suggestions on something similar...
Before you go spending hundreds on a new seat, you might think about just getting your stock seat reworked. There is a guy named Allen, from another forum, that has a shop and does excellent work, from what I have read. He will be getting my seat this summer. Check out www.meancitycycles.com Hope this helps.

Back