free website stats program 2007 1200C Questions | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 1200C Questions

Dallas HD

So, I've finally bought another Harley after going years without riding. I used to ride a 1993 Road King and recently purchased a 2007 1200C Sportster. I absolutely love it, but was certainly hesitant at first. However, the FI, handling, turning capabilities and overall comfort really made me a believer.

Nevertheless, it's been so long, I've just got some questions that ya'll might be able to answer:

1. How long should I let the bike warm up before riding? I live in Texas so it's pretty hot here, but I've noticed that if I don't let it warm up long enough, it may die at the first light or two in first gear.

2. What windshield would be best? I'm thinking a detachable, fairly tall, I'm 5'10".

3. I also wanted to get some saddlebags, any suggestions? I like the old leather look.

4. When riding 2 up with my wife, I'm about 200 lbs and she weighs just over half that (don't even tell her I said anything), do I need to make any adjustments? Is there anything I should be aware of, or concerned about before doing so?

And, finally, any other overall warnings or advice on maintenance/upkeep would be great!

Thanks!

Thanks Hobbit, I picked up the Sissy bar and comfy seat already, otherwise the wife would never ride on it. Also, I'm pretty sure the one time it had problems at the lights was because I didn't wait for the engine light to go off before firing it up. I jumped the gun a little. The first time, it started right up, no problems, and I didn't get back into the garage until after there were 100 more miles on the bike!

I definitely will check out the saddlebags in person.

As for the Stock 1, is there an easy way to see if it's already equipped? Sorry for my ignorance.

I assume you meant STAGE 1 above. Look behind the air cleaner cover and see if it is open or closed and if you can see the filter there. If you can, it's a stage 1 usually when speaking about the SE brand.

The detachable windshield is a great way to go. I am 6'2" and sit very tall and it is a bit short for me, but it should be perfect for you.

The quick release clamps are very dependable, and make for quick cleanup and detailing. Just be carefull to put it down a a soft clean towel so you don't scratch it up.

Like you a got back to riding after being off for many years. I bought an 06 Sportster 1200 Custom a couple of years ago, and while I'm really thinking about a Glide, I'll probably keep the Sporty too.

I took a look behind the air cleaner cover and I can see the filter. Also, the bike is much louder than stock with Vance and Hines pipes, so I'm assuming it's Stage 1. I may have someone at the dealership take a look just to make sure.

I've riden before, but as you can tell from my questions, still don't know much about bikes.

I appreciate all the info and everyone's answers to my questions. This has been a huge help...and I'm sure it'll be a lot of help in the future years to come!

Comments in blue
1. How long should I let the bike warm up before riding?

Fuel injection should be spot on, that is why it is EPA mandated, even when cold. Likely you have partial Stage I mods, only the AirCleaner and Slipons were added, your bike is probably still running lean and stock EFI mapping is not able add enough fuel to increased intake and exhaust air flow especially if cold or starting out.

2. What windshield would be best? I'm thinking a detachable, fairly tall, I'm 5'10".

Standard or taller windshield would probably suit you fine. The HD ones in the 2009 Part and Accessory Catalog use very nice QR mounting hardware and quality materials throughout, MSRP pricing is high, but there are always good deals around.

3. I also wanted to get some saddlebags, any suggestions? I like the old leather look.

HD and Leatherworks are carried at my local HD dealer, use very heavy guage leather, have nice mounts that blend in with the bike, and also have fastach clips under the old school buckles...nice! Look in the self help section for venders and threads for other poster preferred brands.

4. When riding 2 up...do I need to make any adjustments? Is there anything I should be aware of, or concerned about before doing so?

May have to adjust preload of the back shocks with Harley spanner tool (fits HD OEM as well as Progressive aftermarket) -- HD knows many change them out to lower bike or stiffen for 2 up applications. May want to add/change fork oil from 5W to 7W to add control and stiffen front forks better. And get a descent seat like the Sundowner or go aftermarket Mustang is a good choice.

And, finally, any other overall warnings or advice on maintenance/upkeep would be great!

Consider 2-up riding as heavy duty use -- so use the increased or shortened maintenance schedule recommended in your manual. Use Synthetic oils for all holes except where the clutch is (use a good quality gear oil made for limited slip applications (oil wetted clutch has similar requirements), as gear oil made may need to be rated EP if hypoid gears are used. :s

Back