free website stats program 2006 street bob question | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 street bob question

jrnagy

I have a 2006 Street Bob. I recently noticed a 'tinking' sound when I'm riding in low RPM's. It sounds like pebbles hitting the exhaust. I believe its coming from the primary. Any ideas what could cause this?

I recently noticed a 'tinking' sound when I'm riding in low RPM's.

A tinking sound sure could be pinging like Jeff said. Need more detail. At what RPM in what gear at what MPH does this happen.

"Recently" as in the last tank of fuel?

The sound occurs in the beginning of each gear if I take the gears slowly. It has been occurring for about a week, would bad gas make something do this?

Well if you got some really bad fuel, you could experience severe pinging. But your taking it easy on the gears. I could see it happen under more of a heavy load condition.

It is hard to describe sounds over the internet but I have been on bikes with severe pinging and it does sound like a "tinking" sound that kinda gets blown back but a gentle throttle usually will minimize it.

Before I went crazy trying to diagnose it, I would get a fresh tank of quality fuel and see if there is any change.

What Hoople said and use the high octane. The other thing that comes to mind if its not really doing it under a load, check the exhaust shields to make sure they are tight.

Back