free website stats program 2006 1200XL cam chain tensioners shoes? | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 1200XL cam chain tensioners shoes?

craig Lee

Hey guys,
I know there is never a dumb question, but....Does Mz Bling have cam chain tensioner shoes in her 2006 1200XL. Not being a wrencher and looking through the service manual, it looks like the cam gears and cam is integrated not needing the cam chain tenioners like my '08 SG. (had replaced at 40,000 miles) Her bike is about ready for the 50,000 mile service and we've never addressed the tensioner shoe issue on her bike. Couldn't really find any info on the forum concerning the Sporty and the shoe issue, so.....
As always,
Thanks

Hey guys,
I know there is never a dumb question, but....Does Mz Bling have cam chain tensioner shoes in her 2006 1200XL. Not being a wrencher and looking through the service manual, it looks like the cam gears and cam is integrated not needing the cam chain tenioners like my '08 SG. (had replaced at 40,000 miles) Her bike is about ready for the 50,000 mile service and we've never addressed the tensioner shoe issue on her bike. Couldn't really find any info on the forum concerning the Sporty and the shoe issue, so.....
As always,
Thanks

Nope , they have the best valve train alignment ever look at the push rod tubes compared to a big twin they are pretty straight because of the gear driven cams not a dumb question either before the Sporster was what it is today it was a flathead side valve motor evolving into a 4 cam street fighter

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope , they have the best valve train alignment ever look at the push rod tubes compared to a big twin they are pretty straight because of the gear driven cams

Thanks boss,
Yes, I've noticed the difference in the angles of the 2 bikes.
She runs her bike like crazy and never an issue. Her engine is a work horse.
Because of that, the King is Happy because the Queen is Happy!:D

Thanks boss,
Yes, I've noticed the difference in the angles of the 2 bikes.
She runs her bike like crazy and never an issue. Her engine is a work horse.
Because of that, the King is Happy because the Queen is Happy!:D

Happy riding to you and MzBLING:D

not a dumb question either before the Sporster was what it is today it was a flathead side valve motor evolving into a 4 cam street fighter

Thanks for not considering this a dumb question. That's how we've learned on this Great forum. and Jack, your back pain continues to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for not considering this a dumb question. That's how we've learned on this Great forum. and Jack, your back pain continues to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Thank you as Tank Always says this is a Great Community and you are proof of this, Capital Jack:s

Hey guys,
As always,
Thanks

Craig, there is a single cam tension nylon shoe that presses against the primary chain, but it is manually adjusted. On my 2004 XL1200R it was in very good condition at 20,000 miles and I believe I am approaching the 50,000 mile service as well. There is a lock nut with allen bolt in the center underneath (use a dentist mirror). Once loosened, the assembly removed, the nylon shoe is easily slid out of the holder. Unlike baggers it is not under constant tension and if adjusted properly, not damaged like the so-called automatic ones (that can ratchet it up too tight). Plus the chain is probably work hardened to a nice polish, so if you replace the shoe it should be good to go for another 50,000 miles. Check out page 211 figure 19 of the attached manual...:s

Harley-Davidson XL Sportster 2004-2006

The cost is a quart of Fomula +, the $35 main primary cover gasket (put it back on dry)...and a little time and elbow grease. Might be a good time to change the fasteners to all stainless or chrome ones (if not already) and MzBling may even want to look in and help. It really a simple service, you actually don't have even remove the clutch cable, just tilt the primary cover out of the way to access. Since I have mid controls, I had to remove the peg mounts with an allen wrench, but I think she has forward controls on her XL1200 Custom so just the small lever and rod removal and you will find it a piece of cake. Get all the stuff and start on a Friday night and by Saturday noon you will be ready to ride. There is some Self Help tips and videos to show you how to adjust the manual adjuster (primary chain tension is about 3/16" or so, check manual to be sure).:D

Last edited:
Craig, there is a single cam tension nylon shoe that presses against the primary chain, but it is manually adjusted.
.:D

Hey bro,
Thought you might chime in. As always, Thanks. She just recently had the stator replaced so that side was opened up and the tensioner looked fine from what the wrencher could see. Thinkin' of just replacing to be on the safe side so thanks.
Mz Bling says Hi and gotta' be enjoying this weather! :D
Take care,
Craig

Hey bro,
Thought you might chime in. As always, Thanks. She just recently had the stator replaced so that side was opened up and the tensioner looked fine from what the wrencher could see. Thinkin' of just replacing to be on the safe side so thanks.
Mz Bling says Hi and gotta' be enjoying this weather! :D
Take care,
Craig

Many Sportsters and I Never had a primary Shoe needing to be replaced. Only adjusted properly..

signed....BUBBIE

Many Sportsters and I Never had a primary Shoe needing to be replaced. Only adjusted properly..

signed....BUBBIE

Your a good man Bubbie and spot on , I never replaced one on a Sportie, just adjusted them and used a Quality lube and rode it hard, and kept after several fellow Sportster riders back in the day in Minnesota and 0 problems with there bikes cept for leaky rear head gaskets, but I found the cure for that too with soft metal head and base gaskets from Bartells, never had any more leaks:p

Back