free website stats program 2004 deuce EFI Idle issue | Harley Davidson Forums

2004 deuce EFI Idle issue

mikgab

04 deuce,EFI, 8500 miles, stage1 air filter,power commander 2, SE-2 mufflers,the rest is stock.
Over the past week I have noticed after a cold start it has been taking a long time for the idle to slow down, if at all. Also, after a ride, and parking for a short time, when started again it seems to stay at a high idle.
I have read about similar problems.
I have the service manual,but do not have the electrical manual.
The one thing I'm pretty sure is not the problem is the fuel line in the tank. I already had to change that (1000 miles). I was able to diagnous and fix that with the help from this site. Thank you.
Any advise would be very helpful.
Thanks, Mike

Either what Chester said or you may check the front cylinder temp sensor. Engine may not be coming out of "cold warm up" like it should. The EFI "choke" may be staying on too long due to a bad engine temp sensor. That would make it idle high.

There should be a ohms vs temp chart in your book.

Mike; A few weeks ago, my '07 started having a low idle problem when warm. I popped the a/c cover off and stuck the nozzle of a can of carb cleaner into the IAC (little hole just inside the throttle body) and gave it a couple of shots. Now it idles like it should. Note; I stuffed a clean rag into the throttle body to soak up the cleaner where it comes back into the rear of the tb.

I popped the a/c cover off and stuck the nozzle of a can of carb cleaner into the IAC (little hole just inside the throttle body) and gave it a couple of shots. Now it idles like it should.

Now that's a Cool trick that saved you a Bunch of work. I did not know you could reach it without removing the IAC. That is worth doing every now and then just to keep it clean.:)

Now that's a Cool trick that saved you a Bunch of work. I did not know you could reach it without removing the IAC. That is worth doing every now and then just to keep it clean.:)

If you are worried about any dripping in the manifold give it 1/2 hour to dry out and you should be good to go, Cat products makes a good throttle body spray cleaner that is 02 and Iac safe check Pep Boys I like this over carb cleaner JMO:s

I want to say thanks for the quick replies.
unfortenetly I am at work today and will get to checking all that was suggested tomorow. Anymore suggestions are more than welcome
Thanks, Mike

Of course an intake vacuum leak would also do it. But that would be checked after above items. It's gotta be 1 of these items. (throttle body not closing, IAC stepper sticking, warm up temp sensor, vacuum leak)

If you are worried about any dripping in the manifold give it 1/2 hour to dry out and you should be good to go, Cat products makes a good throttle body spray cleaner that is 02 and Iac safe check Pep Boys I like this over carb cleaner JMO:s

I did not consider a cleaner that is IAC/02 sensor safe, thanks for the info Jack. I'll be getting some of that.

Back