free website stats program 2003 Dyna Low Rider 70t rear pulley to 65t rear pulley | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Dyna Low Rider 70t rear pulley to 65t rear pulley

Hello thanks again:LOL I was going to put I always seem to learn the hardway( I always like a good science project) but I guess my responce said it all. See now thats being beat up enough to stop my project , now I own an extra set of adjusting blocks and still will be looking for a six gear ,I have done many mods and up grades like 16" apes with internal wires, rasied gas tank, chrome swingarm, rocker lockers,extended 41mm 4" over 4 degree raked front end, 21" spoked front rim, all new chrome instrument switches and levers, home made chrome exhaust add on system ,kuryakyan lizard lights and extended front controls. What does a shop charge to replace a transmission as the cost of repairs always seems to motivate me to do it myself?

I don't know what a shop charges but would guess 8 hours at whatever shop rate the tech charges; most run $75-$100/hour. Not a difficult job but time consuming.

You could go with the Ultima gear cassette which would require R/R exhaust and inner/outer primary leaving the trans case in place. I suggested the trans because there is not much difference in price between the trans and the gear cassette and you still have your five speed for sale if you find yourself happy with the six speed.

A lot of guys throw shade at the Ultima trans, some legitimate, some not so much but I do know a know builder and record holding drag racer the runs Ultima six speeds in two of his personal bikes with no issues.

Some time back- around half way through 2013 I’d finally got sick of my stupidly overgeared 2008 Softail Deluxe.
It has a 6 Speed gearbox; the main issue being that 6th gear was useless. W-a-y too tall to be of any real use.
What I did was to go from a 32t driving pulley to an Andrew’s 30t at the front; and from the stock 66t rear pulley to an R C components 68t pulley.
From memory, my Softail runs a 132 teeth pulley and by going smaller on the front and larger on the rear the belt did not actually move in terms of adjustment!
My gearing change was 9.25% shorter.
That is: at 62 mph my rpms rose by something like 220 odd revs.
From something like 2200 to 2400 and a bit.
Doesn’t sound like much, but in the real world it made quite the difference.
At the time I had a Thundermax fitted so I was able to ( eventually) make the speedo accurate.
Once I had the TTS Mastertune; along with some engine mods done, it was equally easy to recalibrate the speedo.

Some time back- around half way through 2013 I’d finally got sick of my stupidly overgeared 2008 Softail Deluxe.
It has a 6 Speed gearbox; the main issue being that 6th gear was useless. W-a-y too tall to be of any real use.
What I did was to go from a 32t driving pulley to an Andrew’s 30t at the front; and from the stock 66t rear pulley to an R C components 68t pulley.
From memory, my Softail runs a 132 teeth pulley and by going smaller on the front and larger on the rear the belt did not actually move in terms of adjustment!
My gearing change was 9.25% shorter.
That is: at 62 mph my rpms rose by something like 220 odd revs.
From something like 2200 to 2400 and a bit.
Doesn’t sound like much, but in the real world it made quite the difference.
At the time I had a Thundermax fitted so I was able to ( eventually) make the speedo accurate.
Once I had the TTS Mastertune; along with some engine mods done, it was equally easy to recalibrate the speedo.

Biscuit...we share the same opinion of the 6th gear! :)

What biscuit did to solve the too tall geared '08 six speed is a common fix but completely different situation from the OPs. Generally speaking, one can to up or down two teeth on a final drive sprocket and not change the belt; generally speaking. The MoCo went to a 68T rear wheel pulley in '10 but some still thought the '10 final drive was too tall and swapped out the 32T for the 30T trans pulley.

Back