2002 FXDX Build

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by BMoreFXDX, May 20, 2011.

1. BMoreFXDX

BMoreFXDX Member

So, I finally bought my first HD back in February, a 2002 FXDX. The engine had 26,000 miles on it and some engine work. S&S cams, porting, 1.9 intake valves, Twin Tec ignition and a D&D Fat Cat exhaust. It ran pretty good but I am going to be making some long trips on it and wanted to be sure everything was in top shape. Right away I took the bike to my buddy at Wild Childs 81 Customs in Myrtle beach. He did a complete rebuild on the engine and got some powder coating done for me. Here is the full build.

What I started with.

[​IMG]

Tare Down

[​IMG]

Stripped

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheels and Pulley powder coated

[​IMG]

New Wheel Bearings

[​IMG]

Risers

[​IMG]

Everything else that was coated

[​IMG]

Looks like Christmas

[​IMG]

The crank was trued, plugged, welded and balacned by Darkhorse Crankworks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Timken bearing installed.

[​IMG]

End Play Set and cases sealed.

[​IMG]

Bottom end back in the bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Primary reassembled.

[​IMG]

Weisco 10.5:1 slipper pistons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heads re-ported and valve seats re-cut by DRT Racing out of Fayetteville.

[​IMG]

Intake ported to match.

[​IMG]

Jugs and heads going back on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screaming Eagle roller rockers and S&S shafts.

[​IMG]

Tom Wood TW8-G cams and Night Prowler lifters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cases clearanced for the cams.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screaming Eagle high flow oil pump.

[​IMG]

Screaming eagle Cam Plate.

[​IMG]

Gear drive on the cams

[​IMG]

Lifters in

[​IMG]

Pushrods in.

[​IMG]

Getting close

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's alive!!!

[​IMG]

On to the results. I only had time to put about 100 miles on it before we strapped it down to the dyno. These numbers should come up slightly once the engine is completely broke in but are still impressive for a 95 CI. 105.32 HP and 97.85 ft-lbs at the wheel. This thing flat out RIPS. It pulls, pulls and keeps pulling right into the limiter that's set for 6500 RPM.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2011
  2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Awesome pictures.! I wish I had that tigged crank in my bike. Looks like it time for Fun.:)

3. BMoreFXDX

BMoreFXDX Member

The welded and balanced crank was well worth it. I still can't believe how smooth this engine is from 3500-6500. Also, it revs so fast in first gear that it out runs the tach. The bike will hit the rev limiter and the tach is only at 6100 or so and still climbing.

4. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I could just imagine. It sure does look like you took the time to do it right. I would be tempted to fatten up the A/F from 4k and up. The dotted line is too lean. But that is just my opinion backed by documentation and concrete facts.:)

5. BMoreFXDX

BMoreFXDX Member

Right now it's got a 177.5 main in it. I am going to try to richen up the pilot a little more, it seems slightly lean at idle. I might also try a 180 main and see how it feels. It's a 45mm HSR by the way.

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

Nice job and great write up. Sorry about the confusion with the pic size.:s

7. BMoreFXDX

BMoreFXDX Member

Thanks. No problem changing the pic sizes. Now photobucket defaults to the correct size. :bigsmiley12:

8. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Not only would the bike pull harder, it would be safer for the engine. You always want a little margin for error. And I would always want that error or margin to be on the rich side. Especially with E10.

It's not like you have to run out and adjust it asap. The A/F line is not terrible. You have time to dial it in. :)

9. glider

glider Veteran Member

Good to hear. I felt bad removing all those great pics. I only wished you came up for air and saw the pics missing before continuing posting the rest of them.:D