free website stats program 2001 softail cam chest | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 softail cam chest

I purchased another bike but no one seems to be able to tell me what cams are in it. I can tell it's not stock. Can I open the chest, remove the camplate and see what they are with relative ease? I know I need to hold up the lifters. When putting it back together is there anything I need to watch out for? I'm looking through the service manual for it's information.

You should be able to pull the plate with cams on it with no problems. I would set you timing timing marks up prior to the pull. Look at your inner cam bearing while there. If they are not torringtons or SE's I would replace then. Align the oil pump per book also.
tourbox

Thanks. I got the oil drained and I need to take the rockers off to get the pushrods out. They're too long even when adjusted all the way up. I did find out a couple of thing.....It has a set of S&S gears in it. A big red Fueling 8000 support plate and I see a Fueling 7000 oil pump in back of it. :D

??????????

Why not just Button it back up and run it...

If it has all these parts already, I would not go further... Call it a day and RIDE...:D

signed....BUBBIE

Just my nature, Bubbie. I want to know exactly what's in there. So far I've also found the rocker boxes have been ground out for the valve springs and a set of SE roller rockers. For some reason the old style breather is in there. Those are coming out and upgraded to the newer ones.

That is really A RICH Find in a used bike...

I usually hear stories the other way... Like: Bought bike and they said it Had....Then I took it apart,,,,,nothing found...:( Dah,,,,They must have taken it out OR MAYBE, it was never there in the first place...:33:

Looking GOOD for your buy...:D

signed....BUBBIE

Looks like a set of Woods Knight Prowler cams. TW9B-G

Closing intake at 50*....Now I wonder how much the heads were shaved (stock measure @ 3.75 inches from face to top of valve cover face on head),,,, size of the valves and what pistons they used?

Let us know as long as you have it apart.:bigsmiley24:

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back