2001 softail cam chest

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by Bartman420, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Bartman420

Bartman420 Member

I purchased another bike but no one seems to be able to tell me what cams are in it. I can tell it's not stock. Can I open the chest, remove the camplate and see what they are with relative ease? I know I need to hold up the lifters. When putting it back together is there anything I need to watch out for? I'm looking through the service manual for it's information.

2. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

You should be able to pull the plate with cams on it with no problems. I would set you timing timing marks up prior to the pull. Look at your inner cam bearing while there. If they are not torringtons or SE's I would replace then. Align the oil pump per book also.
    tourbox

3. turnup

turnup Member

Be good idea to take a look at your cam chain tensioners .when you are in there

4. Bartman420

Bartman420 Member

Thanks. I got the oil drained and I need to take the rockers off to get the pushrods out. They're too long even when adjusted all the way up. I did find out a couple of thing.....It has a set of S&S gears in it. A big red Fueling 8000 support plate and I see a Fueling 7000 oil pump in back of it. :D

5. Bartman420

Bartman420 Member

Forgot to add this picture

Attached Files:

6. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

??????????

Why not just Button it back up and run it...

If it has all these parts already, I would not go further... Call it a day and RIDE...:D

signed....BUBBIE

7. Bartman420

Bartman420 Member

Just my nature, Bubbie. I want to know exactly what's in there. So far I've also found the rocker boxes have been ground out for the valve springs and a set of SE roller rockers. For some reason the old style breather is in there. Those are coming out and upgraded to the newer ones.

8. Bartman420

Bartman420 Member

Looks like a set of Woods Knight Prowler cams. TW9B-G

9. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

That is really A RICH Find in a used bike...

I usually hear stories the other way... Like: Bought bike and they said it Had....Then I took it apart,,,,,nothing found...:( Dah,,,,They must have taken it out OR MAYBE, it was never there in the first place...:33:

Looking GOOD for your buy...:D

signed....BUBBIE

10. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Closing intake at 50*....Now I wonder how much the heads were shaved (stock measure @ 3.75 inches from face to top of valve cover face on head),,,, size of the valves and what pistons they used?

Let us know as long as you have it apart.:bigsmiley24:

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014