free website stats program 2001 Road King Transmission Smoothness | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 Road King Transmission Smoothness

Mark Hall

Hey Team,

Purchased bike last year, just now getting to know her real well. Question: When riding above 30 mph (in gears 3, 4 & 5), the transmission seems to "jump" ever so slightly (even hate to use word jump as it is very slight) when transitioning from engine pulling the bike to going into more of a glide mode (either on straight aways or down hill). Is this normal? And when I say slight, I mean slight. Just does not feel a "smooth" as I would expect. Any help/insight appreciated.

Thanks - Mark

In any gear, at any speed, if tach reads below 2,500 RPM you are officially lugging engine and it would not be smooth. Another way to look at it is 1st gear 10MPH, 2nd gear 20MPH, 3rd gear 30 MPH etc., if you are just putting along. Of course when pulling you would want to run RPM's upwards of 4,000 to get the full torque of engine before shifting for maximum power....
So the "jump" you are feeling may just be the combination of normal play in drivetrain and lugging engine.

Back