free website stats program 2001 Road Glide light reflectors burning | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 Road Glide light reflectors burning

Docbob

Hey everyone,
This is my first post, so bear with me.
My 2001 RG light reflectors are scorched at the base of the H4 60/55 w bulbs. Is this normal? Are any of the later RG models equipped with better reflectors that can be used in a 2001 model?
Thanks,
Docbob

Hey everyone,
This is my first post, so bear with me.
My 2001 RG light reflectors are scorched at the base of the H4 60/55 w bulbs. Is this normal? Are any of the later RG models equipped with better reflectors that can be used in a 2001 model?
Thanks,
Docbob

No worries. Do you have any evidence of corrosion, does the scorch extend to the wiring behind? It could be caused by water, bad wire crimp or errant strands cut or shorting to the socket shell (look for evidence of arcing or metal sprue) in the area. :bigsmiley31:

No worries. Do you have any evidence of corrosion, does the scorch extend to the wiring behind? It could be caused by water, bad wire crimp or errant strands cut or shorting to the socket shell (look for evidence of arcing or metal sprue) in the area. :bigsmiley31:
Biglew 55,
I usually wash with mr. clean outfit. There is some evidence of discoloration on the back of just one reflector.

Looks like rust but won't wipe off like rust would

Biglew 55,
I usually wash with mr. clean outfit. There is some evidence of discoloration on the back of just one reflector.

Looks like rust but won't wipe off like rust would

If it is just on one side, the discoloration is probably overheating due to poor contact. Look at the bulb end, is it flattened, black from arcing or clean, shiny and round? Replacement bulb end contact should be round and shiny (sometimes new replacement bulbs are improperly soldered or spot welded on the end)...imagine that!. Replace socket if you cannot scrape corrosion/arcing damage off the contacts. If repairable, clean w/ Brakekleen or contact cleaner, wipe dry. Use dielectric grease, coat innards and you should be good to go. :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the info. I am having computer trouble and haven't been able to get back to ya. I will check the contact points, etc.

Computer going into shop for service for who knows how long.

Thanks all.

Back