free website stats program 2000 Tach, speed, and odom dont work | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 Tach, speed, and odom dont work

mz5t29

While riding to speedom and engine light were stopping, the next morning batter was dead, had it jumped with jump box, while traveling batter started to smoke, got to a macanic shop and they replaced battery and voltage reg which went bad. in process I burnt out tail light and low beam.. When I picked up bike with new parts the Tach, Speedo and Odom do not work at all. Every think else electricaly works. I have looked over fuses all are good, any thoughts on what is blown, for sure something else is that need to be replaced.

Thanks Daniel

while traveling batter started to smoke,

For the battery to smoke the charging voltage went to the moon. That's supported by the fact that the low beam and tail light bulb burned out. My guess is the voltage went to 18+ volts.

If you are sure the fuses are good (tested with a meter), the high voltage may have toasted the speedo/tach. If you don't get it resolved by Monday, I will have access to the schematics and can look it up for you.

Thanks I am working in DC for the National guard and will be home late sunday night..thanks for the help, something else diff got smoked out...just cant tell what..thanks I will look for your posts on Monday

Thanks
Daniel

First thing you want to do is check the charging output. With a meter directly across the battery, check the charging voltage at idle and at 2500 RPM. Be sure it does not exceed 14.70 volts.
"Accessory" fuse powers the speedo. "Instrument" fuse powers the Tach.

If the neutral & low oil pressure lights turn on and work, the tach is getting power. If the brake light and turn signals work, the speedo is getting power.
If the bike starts and runs, chances are the tach is getting a trigger signal.

If all above checks out, chances are the tach is bad. Speed sensor could be bad which can make the speedo no read. See attachments. Red wire on speed sensor should read +5 volts. White wire should toggle from 0 to +5 when you hand turn wheel.

Attachments

• 2000_Dyna_1.pdf
    54.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2000_Dyna_2.pdf
    49.6 KB · Views: 6
Well all the mentioned light work, I will measure the voltage as you discribed, I took the tack out and I am getting power to the 2 wires that connect to it, is it a real possiblity that when the voltage regulator went out driving down the highway it toasted the tachometer as well..the dealer says thay cant test it and its a 177 dollar part. could same have happened to the speedom unit..

I took the tack out and I am getting power to the 2 wires that connect to it,

2 wires? It should be 3. At the top of PDF #1, it lists the models for the schematic. Is this the correct schematic for your bike.

Super Glide - FXDI,Super Glide Custom-FXDIC,35th Anniversary Super Glide FXD135,Street Bob - FXDI,Low Rider - FXDLI,Wide Glide - FXDWGI
I never heard of a Dyna Sport. What's the letters for your bike.
I will see if I have a schematic for it. Are you working with a HD service manual? All I have is a clone/knockoff manual for that year bike.

Knowing there is power on "two wire" does not tell me much. You need to tell me the colors of the wires your reading and the voltage the meter reads.

2 wires? It should be 3. At the top of PDF #1, it lists the models for the schematic. Is this the correct schematic for your bike.

Super Glide - FXDI,Super Glide Custom-FXDIC,35th Anniversary Super Glide FXD135,Street Bob - FXDI,Low Rider - FXDLI,Wide Glide - FXDWGI
I never heard of a Dyna Sport. What's the letters for your bike.
I will see if I have a schematic for it. Are you working with a HD service manual? All I have is a clone/knockoff manual for that year bike.

Knowing there is power on "two wire" does not tell me much. You need to tell me the colors of the wires your reading and the voltage the meter reads.

Dyna Sport is FXDX model:D

Back