free website stats program 2000 Road King with sidecar died, won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 Road King with sidecar died, won't start

It's back to the furture and deja vu all over again. Two and one half years ago I posted that the day after I installed a 1999 HD sidecar on my 2000 HD Road King Classic, it just up and stopped running while driving down the road and hasn't started since.(I have been out of commission and have just come back to it.) When it stopped, it threw DTC code 41, 44 and 56: crank position sensor; Bank angle Sensor and cam and crank position sensors out of sync. All were back probed and tested fine except the crank position sensor which tested weak. So,this Spring I threw a new gel battery in and still nothing.

It will fire and run if I squirt starter fluid in the throttle body. All the fuses check out. The spark plugs fire. The fuel pump primes up. I have not pulled the fuel pump yet, but have looked in the tank for signs of bubbling/hissing when it primes and when I try to start in.

I bought and attached all three of the sensors and still nothing. I have checked all the wires for shorts.

Any new ideas? Oh yeah, it's an MM EFI!

HELP... I am about to take it to a DEALER! Yikes!

Thanks,
Lightnin' Lyle

Still looking for some help. I have decided to go down the fuel delivery path as the next logical stop. So, I am in the process of pulling the fuel pump to check the filter and the lines that are prone to abrading against the inside of the tank and going bad.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for your insights.

Did the bike run good 2 1/2 years ago after you had the new CPS in?

If so, did you drain that gas that has been sitting in there for 2 1/2 years?
If not do so. Put some fresh gas with some Sea Foam in there.

Take it easy on the starting fluid....rather just squirt some gas in.

Stray Dog. thanks for your suggestions. I actually didn't test it with a new crank sensor, Bank angle sensor or a Cam sensor until this year. I left around quarter of a tank of gas. Fresh gas and Sea Foam is a good idea. It does sound exactly like it did when it first happened 21/2 years ago.

I just pulled the fuel pump assembly and there were no cracks or holes in any of the lines, and the pump primes like its brand new.

I am still completely puzzled as to what could've tripped all three DTCs at the same time back then while driving down a flat blacktop back road at 30 mph. I dropped into an independent old school bike mechanic's shop today and when i told him it was an MM EFI he said, "Just put a (EDIT) Mikuni carb in the (EDIT) thing. He laughed and said he would be happy to look at it and was factory trained in the early Twin Cams with the MM fuelies. He said to check out all the components of the induction module, too.

Thanks again.

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you actually put a new crank position sensor in? Its not that uncommon for these to go bad.

How long did it run when you used the starting fluid? Did it run or just pop?

Yes I connected the new CKPS in over the top of the frame not under it, just to see if it made a difference. I did the same with the Cam and Bank Angle sensors, too. None of them made any difference.

It will run on the starting fluid until the fuel runs out that was sprayed into the throttle body.

Thanks.

Back