free website stats program 2000 RK speedo problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 RK speedo problem

Wreck

i bought a 2000 RK a few yrs ago, and recently had a new baker 5 speed installed. The question i have is my speedo is running 10mph slower than i am actually traveling, which has gotten me 2 speeding tickets before i realized what the problem was. How do i fix this problem? Is it an easy fix that i can do myself, or something a shop needs to handle. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Depends where the speed sensor is on your bike .. what else did they change rear pulley front pulley?

Depends where the speed sensor is on your bike .. what else did they change rear pulley front pulley?
Unfortunately i do not have all the info on any of the work that was done to this bike.. i can tell you, the cams and motor have been modified. Had a HD tech look at it and was informed the bike was either a 103 ci or 110 cu . Bike has a stage 3 kit on it. Been trying to go thru the bike and find out what i can.

need to find out where your speedo drive is .. mine is in the trans and uses a reprogramer box to fix the over speed .. someone else will know where yours is i dont for sure

need to find out where your speedo drive is .. mine is in the trans and uses a reprogramer box to fix the over speed .. someone else will know where yours is i dont for sure

ok, i just went out and looked at the trans, i have a pigtail with 2 wires going into a nut type plug on the top rear of trans. I know for a fact that one wire controls my nuetral light on the dash. Aside from that i am clueless, sorry to say,

on my 2000 dyna .... ALL is under the seat... a 3 wire plug ....

this plug is all that needed to be MONKEYED WITH just seperating stock HD connection and PLUG new unit between... and a simple hot wire hook-up....

I bot a speedo calibrator unit from jp cycle and if you call them, a tec will tell you the best one for your bike.... 3 or 4 diff. units at diff.$$$

I put in a 6 speed and 30 was 60 mph etc... this calb. unit will fine tune any variations in speedo problems no matter what modifications were made to make speedo off.

It is an easy fix as I only had to seperate the HD 3 wire plug and PLUG the calibrator between the hd plugs... CALB. UNIT NEEDED one hot wire from it to the orange hot light wire also located under seat ...(follow instructions)

I set my cal.unit at 50 on the odometer

then out for a ride with a pace vehicle and pressed the magic button on an extention plug MY unit came with and all was re-trued to the proper speed....

I didn't describe the procedure very well but it was easy.... JUST READ instructions that come with the unit....FIRST...

They had several listed in the big jp cycle book and 80 $$ area...

Hope this helps....signed BUBBIE

I also had a baker (6) speed put in my 2000 roadking :Dwhile at Sturgis? But baker also gave me a speedo calibrator installed on my bike and showed me how to adjust it if I ever needed to? So far its' been bang on. I would contact Baker? They are awesome for service and the parts are great too. My 2 Cents.:D

Back