free website stats program 1999 ultra dies and electric goes out while riding | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 ultra dies and electric goes out while riding

cfiiguy

Banned
i have a 99 ultra with 39k on the clock. today it died 4 times while riding. when it dies the electric goes out as well. just acts like someone turned the ign. switch off. turn the switch off and let it set for a minute and all is well. it did it once at the end of last riding season, but that was 4k miles ago. over the winter the battery was replaced with an OEM battery. all cables were cleaned and installed with "star" washers. the 40 amp breaker was replaced with a new one. ( if the breaker was opening would the radio retain all of its settings?) from what i can see from the service manual wiring diagram the only thing that would kill everything without lossing the radio settings is the switch. what am i missing? THANKS

if the breaker was opening would the radio retain all of its settings?) from what i can see from the service manual wiring diagram the only thing that would kill everything without lossing the radio settings is the switch. what am i missing? THANKS

Are you saying the radio settings remain or are they lost when the problem happens.
If the main breaker opens up, the radio settings will be lost as the attachment shows (main breaker feeds everything on bike except starter hi current) . But I have seen some radio's have the ability to hold the pre-sets for a short period of time (maybe 15-45 seconds) due to the power supply capacitors within the radio. I don't know if your radio will do it or not.

But to find out, pull the radio memory fuse out for 5 seconds (with bike not running) and see if the pre-set stations are lost. Just experiment with that fuse using different time delays & see what happens.

You didn't say if the bike was injected or carb. Schematics are different but the answer for your radio question should remain the same.

Attachments

• Main Breaker.pdf
    60.2 KB · Views: 5
thanks for the replies so far. yes the radio settings remain intact. i can play with the fuse and see, but i doubt it would hold memery that long. i did pull the outer fairing and the radio,and visually the switch looks good, but looks can be deceiving. connections are clean and tight, although it could be the switch itself. i'm gonna check with the local HD dealer 2morrow and see if they have one while i have it apart.
the bike is fuel injected, and yes,the breaker is a 50amp. (it is a NAPA brand)
but from what i can see if the breaker opens,the radio looses presets and it is not. the only thing on the entire print that would do what mine does is the switch. ?????????

the only thing on the entire print that would do what mine does is the switch. ?????????

That year & model is different than most others because it uses a power relay to turn on the big loads. See attachment. If you have this relay, take a close look at the socket terminals & relay itself. See if it gets very warm to the touch when in use. This relay powers all the lights and instrument panel. A bad power relay could make it look like the ignition switch was bad when it wasn't.

Attachments

• Power Relay.pdf
    75 KB · Views: 11
thanks hoople. i have not looked to see if i have a relay in mine or not. i will give that a look as well.
THANKS

I have that relay, and noticed that all 4 relays on the bike are the same part number. I moved every relay one to the right and the last one back to the empty socket. all componets looked good, but we'll see if the problem moves with the power relay to it's new location. if it does good. if not looks like i'll be ordering a switch. THANKS guys.

I have that relay, and noticed that all 4 relays on the bike are the same part number. I moved every relay one to the right and the last one back to the empty socket. all componets looked good, but we'll see if the problem moves with the power relay to it's new location. if it does good. if not looks like i'll be ordering a switch. THANKS guys.

Be sure to get back with us when you find the problem, I think with your year bike this will be something that will help a lot of members. Thanks.

Mine did it a couple of years ago, driving down the road & it just died with the gauges out also. Pulled it over to the side of the road & checked battery connections but when I turned it off & then back on everything worked fine. That was about 30K ago. Good luck

Toby

well t wasnt the relay. got it out yesterday in 93 degrees, and rode about 25 miles of highway with no problem. went to town and got about 10 minutes of stop and go traffic and she died. 3 minutes later it fired right back up. headed out of town and did 15 miles of country and it was fine. i am just assuming that 2 relays are not going to have the same failure. at any rate, i ordered a switch from the local HD shop, (3 to 7 days for delivery) and as soon as it gets here i will slap it in and let you all know if we have a winner, or if the search must continue.

Is there any way you can get voltage past the breaker to see if its still pulling voltage? Im guessing its not a bad breaker, but you could test it off the bike as well if you could get some voltage through it.

Back