free website stats program 1996 Heritage electrical problems | Harley Davidson Forums

1996 Heritage electrical problems

jlbreaux

Hey folks, newbie here to the forum and I was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 96’ Heritage Classic and I have had issues for the past couple of years with my lights going out and coming back on while riding. I changed the pigtail for the headlight, I have changed the relay, checked fuses, checked grounds, checked for damaged cables, checked connections under dash housing for the ignition, all to no avail. I did not notice anything loose, broken or damaged. As it normally happens, I brought it to the shop twice and they could not duplicate problem. Just recently while I was riding I lost everything, headlight, running lights, dash lights etc. I took off from a stop sign and the bike died like I turned it off. This is the first time this has happened. After 30 seconds or so it fired right up and ran great all the way home, I killed it to open my shop, got back on it turned on ignition… nothing, no dash lights no head light, running lights nothing. I toggled the kill switch off and on and gave it a few “love taps” light came on and it fired right up. I am now thinking it may be my run/stop switch or my ignition, can the run/stop switch affect the lights? I hate to change parts and still have the problem. I am at my wits end with this and I refuse to bring it to the shop again. I will take ANY and ALL comments, suggestions, bashings and or advice! :dknow Thanks

Not completely familiar with your year but the I do no think the run/kill switch has anything to do with the lights. Your ignition switch obviously does. Do you have a main breaker coming off the positive lead of the battery? It has two posts and is rectangular. Its a self resetting breaker. It gets hot and trips, then cools and resets. They are cheap and easy to replace.

Welcome to the forum.

I have a '91 Dyna. Had a problem with my kill switch but did not know it. The bike would act like the latter part of your description with it failing to start (or even crank). Would have to try pushing the Start button repeatedly, rocking the bike in gear (thinking I had a flat spot on the starter), then hunting for all kinds of problems. Turns out that the kill switch was just all corroded up with some sort of metal salt (white or whitish-green deposit). Took the thing apart, cleaned everything up with electrical connector spray and got all the connectors copper shiney new looking. Lubed everything with a spray lube and reassembled. Nuff said!!

But I would also replace your main breaker too if you haven't already. If it is a 30 amp, I would go with a 40.

TQ

Not completely familiar with your year but the I do no think the run/kill switch has anything to do with the lights. Your ignition switch obviously does. Do you have a main breaker coming off the positive lead of the battery? It has two posts and is rectangular. Its a self resetting breaker. It gets hot and trips, then cools and resets. They are cheap and easy to replace.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes I do have a main breaker, I believe it is a 30amp if memory serves me correct, it was one of the first parts I changed. My cousin keeps saying kill switch, I can go along with that for losing power and my sled shutting off but wasn't sure if a possible short in the run/kill switch would affect the lights. Well it sounds like I may have to change the ignition switch and the run/kill switch.:dknow

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a '91 Dyna. Had a problem with my kill switch but did not know it. The bike would act like the latter part of your description with it failing to start (or even crank). Would have to try pushing the Start button repeatedly, rocking the bike in gear (thinking I had a flat spot on the starter), then hunting for all kinds of problems. Turns out that the kill switch was just all corroded up with some sort of metal salt (white or whitish-green deposit). Took the thing apart, cleaned everything up with electrical connector spray and got all the connectors copper shiney new looking. Lubed everything with a spray lube and reassembled. Nuff said!!

But I would also replace your main breaker too if you haven't already. If it is a 30 amp, I would go with a 40.

TQ
Think I will clean up the kill switch when I get home from work....Christ on crutches, I never thought about doing that. Sometimes it is the simple things. LOL

i would check the wiring in the housings on the bars ( both sides) along with the ign . none of it is water proof

If the bike indeed died as you said in entry post I would be looking at replacing the ignition switch on the tank console, this old semi mechanical switch is the problem IMO

I agree with Jack. If you already replaced the CB it probably is the ignition switch.

When the problem happens again, I would touch that main CB to see if it is very warm/hot to the touch. If it is, some current flow measurements should be taken. If it is cool/room temp,, ignition switch is then 1st on the list for me.

I agree with Hoople and Jack. The ignition switch sounds alot like the problem. However, the circuit breaker could be a contributing problem as well. I fail to see how the kill/run switch on the bars would have any affect on the lights. My 04 Heritage doesn't work that way!

I also agree with Hoople and Jack. The run/kill switch only gives power to the start button and the coil. Lights come from the Ign. switch and usually a 15 amp. circuit for the lights
tourbox

Back