free website stats program 1995 Heritage Evo Stator / Regulator Testing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1995 Heritage Evo Stator / Regulator Testing

First thing you want to do is clip (or have someone hold) your voltmeter directly across the battery. Place meter range switch in 50 DC V position. Meter should read about 12.6 volts DC. Now while looking at the meter, turn the ignition key ON. What does meter read. Now hit the crank (start) button. What does the meter read while your finger is on the crank button. Is the engine cranking at this time.

You said your charger was a "trickle charger". What is the brand. Does it have a meter on it. Read & tell us what the output specifications are on your charger. How many amps output does it have @ 12 volts. If it has a meter built in it, what is the meter reading when you check it in the morning after it has been charging the battery all night long.

Don't change or replace any parts yet. If your budget allows (or even if it doesn't allow),,, buy a quality digital meter. It will pay big dividends down the road.

The trickle charger is a "Battery Tender Plus." It does not have a meter. Can you tell me what digital meter I should buy? If you have a photo of it, name, etc, that would be great.

Thanks for all the help! Had to step away for awhile but will get back on this tomorrow.

If you have a photo of it, name, etc, that would be great.

Tender Plus is a good charger (1.5 amp). As for a meter, here is good general purpose meter. Brand new in the box from a store they are not cheap but there are tons of like new/slightly used ones on Ebay for great prices. It has forced manual ranges & a 10 amp DC current range. Most quality meters come with cheap low quality lead sets so you will need to also spring for a quality lead set of choice.
Click the "more info" tab and download the manual. It will give you an idea of what it has.

Fluke 77 IV Series Digital Multimeter | Digital Multimeters | Digital Multi meters by Fluke Corporation

Hoople, I think my brother may have one of those. Gonna check with him. I know he has five of every electrical tool there is, so if nothing else, I'm sure he has another brand of the same thing. And he doesn't usually skimp when it comes to tools.

Jack, I read through that and will follow the directions. I will have some questions when I do. I am having to put this on the back burner for now as I am suddenly having to move. Might be able to get to it this coming weekend.

Thanks to all of you for your help. Y'all are awesome!!

Hoople, I think my brother may have one of those. Gonna check with him. I know he has five of every electrical tool there is, so if nothing else, I'm sure he has another brand of the same thing. And he doesn't usually skimp when it comes to tools.

Jack, I read through that and will follow the directions. I will have some questions when I do. I am having to put this on the back burner for now as I am suddenly having to move. Might be able to get to it this coming weekend.

Thanks to all of you for your help. Y'all are awesome!!

Good Luck to you, We will be here to help you when you need it:s

Back