free website stats program 1991 Softail EVO Head Gasket Replacement -- Noob | Harley Davidson Forums

1991 Softail EVO Head Gasket Replacement -- Noob

Estevito

My mechanic told me my rear, right head gasket is screwed and needs replacement (estimate $700). He advised me to get the other the whole top done (estimate $1200).

I'm mostly broke.

After having 1,000,000 problems with this bike since I bought it four months ago, I'm wondering if I should try and tackle this latest problem.

I am somewhat new to motorcycle repair. I'm handy, but inexperienced.

I live in LA and there's a DIY shop that is completely outfitted with tools for $35/day.

My big question is: is it dumb for me to try this repair? I have the time and the inclination.

Advice please!

If your somewhat handy with a wrench and have the service manual for your scoot I say go for it. If you have questions just ask, members here are happy to help.

Thanks Jeff! I'm buying a manual today, but am looking for tutorials or videos on YouTube. Any suggestions?

It's pretty much simple. 1st. pull your gas tank for room & clearance. Next remove your carb & intake out of the way, then the exhaust removed from the heads. I have attached a couple of pics for reference. There are torques involved but you service manual will give them.

Rocker Boxes

Intake Manifold
You can also go to https://www.dodgecityharleydavidson.com/OEMpartfinder.htm#
for parts look up & diagrams. Ask and people will help you.
tourbox

Thanks, Tourbox. Getting the manual tomorrow and going to go forward with it at the DIY shop. Wish me luck.

Besides getting replacement head gaskets and bottom gaskets, is there anything else I need to buy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, check your intake manifold for cracks or splits and make sure the flanges are not warped.

Read manual carefully and search the internet for "evo cylinder stud problems". Early 90's Evo's had several issues with studs stretching, or pulling the threads out of the cases. New studs are recommended.

Thanks Jeff! I'm buying a manual today, but am looking for tutorials or videos on YouTube. Any suggestions?

There may be some videos on the net but if you follow what tourbox posted and your Manuel you'll be fine.
If you run into any issues just ask here and you should get pointed in the right direction.

Good luck and post an update.

Good luck with it, it's not that hard.And as said keep us posted. Some pics wouls be nice also.
tourbox

Ordered a set of 2 head and 2 base gaskets. It's been recommended that I change all four gaskets while I have everything off. Also replacing the rocker gasket too. Thoughts?

I should have the manual tomorrow or Friday, so will be at the shop all day. Will definitely send pics of the chaos. At least they have beer!

Back