free website stats program 1989 flhtc | Harley Davidson Forums

1989 flhtc

hogrotten

My brother just bought one with 58,00 miles on it.Just curious what the life expectancey is on an 80 c.i. evolution? also if there is any hardware to make the tour pack removeable? Thanx in advance for all replies.:D

Life expectancey of evo 80 c.i.

My brother just bought a 1989 FLHTC with apprx. 58,000 miles on it.The bike has been well cared for by the orig. owner and I was just wondering how many reliable miles he could expect? Thanx for all replies.

My 85 flhtc has over 90k on and if anything besides a stator,rotor,volt regulator, brakes, belt and sprokets it was done before I got it at 40k. I added a S&S carb and it has been a good bike. Also tires and wheel bearings.

My brother just bought one with 58,00 miles on it.Just curious what the life expectancey is on an 80 c.i. evolution? also if there is any hardware to make the tour pack removeable? Thanx in advance for all replies.:D

There is no "expiration date" on the EVO. Normal wear and tear should require some maintenance and eventually some rebuilding, but the timing (miles) of all that will depend on how the bike is serviced, and how it is operated.

Having said all that, a weak spot on the EVOs is the base gaskets. Once they start weeping and eventually leaking, it is only a matter of time until there is enough give for the head gasket(s) to blow. At that point, a top end job is adviseable. This whole problem can be mitigated by properly warming up the engine BEFORE taking off down the road. As a side note, I like to start the cold engine with the enricher pulled out, but then quickly change over (within the first minute, push in the enricher knob and increase the throttle) to setting the throttle brake with the engine turning over between 1,000-1,200 revs. I warm it up until the valve covers are nice and warm to the touch.

TQ

Re: Life expectancey of evo 80 c.i.

if you leave it stock harley says its a 100,000 mile motor i have friends that have over 80,000 on there,s and all running well but engine mods will shorten life,jel

My '86 FXRS had around 160,000 on it before a bad main bearing necessitated a rebuild. It now has over 200,000 miles on it and still runs like a top. A lot has to do with how you ride it.

Thanx for the reply fellas, I'll pass that info along to my brother.If anyone has any info regarding a bracket for quick detatch for the tourpack on that year would appreciate it also.Happy motoring.

Last edited:

I appreciate the feed back,He should be good for awhile then as he definately is not hard on em.

Have him check with the original owner to see if the original INA-type cam bearing was ever replace with an up-graded Torrington-type bearing. My '96 RK had approximately 33,000 miles on it when it started making a "whining" sound. Found out shortly thereafter what all the noise was when my oil pump locked up due to a piece of the bearing cage that had came loose and found its way to the pump. Not a good thing. I have read several articles that Harley knew the INA-type bearing is not as good as the Torrington-type but would not recall Evo's that had them in it. I ended up sending my Evo back to Harley, through a local dealer, to the remanufacturing program that they have and I will tell you that I'm lighter in the wallet but am extremely please with my new, remanufactured Evo.

Hey I just bought that model myself ! Its amazing ho popular they are..L.O.
Hoggs my Bro and I am interested in any info on this model I can get.
The Gentleman I bought it from is the original owner and has taken excellent care of it. Again Thx for the help.

Back