free website stats program 1987 1100 sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

1987 1100 sportster

cooll903

i have a problem with the timing gears. when all the gear marks line up should the #1 piston be at TDC or at the ADV. mark? cause last time i put it together i lined up the marks but the piston didn't line up and when i got it together and started it up, it ran but but it backfired through the intake and the exaust. it didn't do this before i took it apart. the reason i did take it apart was to change out the oil lines cause they had cracked. i now have the marks lined up again and i did rotate the engine twice to make sure the marks lined up again and they did but the piston isn't at TDC. does anyone have any info on how to fix my problem?

i have a problem with the timing gears. when all the gear marks line up should the #1 piston be at TDC or at the ADV. mark? cause last time i put it together i lined up the marks but the piston didn't line up and when i got it together and started it up, it ran but but it backfired through the intake and the exaust. it didn't do this before i took it apart. the reason i did take it apart was to change out the oil lines cause they had cracked. i now have the marks lined up again and i did rotate the engine twice to make sure the marks lined up again and they did but the piston isn't at TDC. does anyone have any info on how to fix my problem?

If you are at TDC both front valves should be closed, you can verify this by watching the tappets, or remove the timing plug, the dot on the flywheel should be visible in the center of the hole

the dot isn't in sight its just out of sight if i move the gears about 5-10 degs. its in view would i be ok as long as i'm in the middle of the TDC and ADV. mark?

also is the colored coded dots to be the same on all the gears? the reason that i'm asking is they are all red except the front intake gear its white. i don't know if someone has been in the case before me or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back