free website stats program 11 Steet Bob vs Super Glide Custom Opinions | Harley Davidson Forums

11 Steet Bob vs Super Glide Custom Opinions

redcad

Fell in love with the FXDB Street Bob; minimalist and super cool!
Then I realize for the same dough ($13k) the FXDC Super Glide Custom has far more content (polish, chrome, two up seat and pegs for the rare passenger, etc). Nice look as well!

Of course the decison is mine, "buy what you like"; but I am looking for the folks that shopped these and ride them. The specs are the same give or take a few pounds.

And I am not sure about the mini apes on the Bob, "pits in the wind" is cool, but I am not used to straight arming a bike.

Your opinions are valued! Thanks.

Red

I own a 2010 superglide custom and can say that it is perfect for my 120 mile round trip commute and also ok for longer trips as well. I have not ridden a street bob but have heard that the mini apes make long stints on the highway a bit tough......you kind of make a sail out of your body and the extra wind resistance makes you use more muscle in the arms to hold your position. If you plan on many highway miles you amy want to go with the super glide.

I own a 2010 superglide custom and can say that it is perfect for my 120 mile round trip commute and also ok for longer trips as well. I have not ridden a street bob but have heard that the mini apes make long stints on the highway a bit tough......you kind of make a sail out of your body and the extra wind resistance makes you use more muscle in the arms to hold your position. If you plan on many highway miles you amy want to go with the super glide.

Thanks for the advice, thats why I had drag bars on a previous bike.

Also, I am 60, 5'9 and a not so great back. I am guessing the saddles are just as comfy.

The Super Glide Custom seems more easy to live with.

I'm 60 with a very bad back (waiting right now to see if I need surgery) and I just traded my 2007 Road King for a 2011 Super Glide Custom. Road King was just overkill for what I need, and the Super Glide is GREAT. Reminds me of what motorcycling is supposed to be about. I can't believe some people think it's HD's "entry level" big twin.It's all the bike you're ever gonna need. Besides that, it's BEAUTIFUL!!! I guess I'm old school, but the Street Bob is just too bland for me. The Super Glide is loaded with chrome.

Thanks for the advice, thats why I had drag bars on a previous bike.

Also, I am 60, 5'9 and a not so great back. I am guessing the saddles are just as comfy.

The Super Glide Custom seems more easy to live with.

I think that the superglide custom is perfect for me.........as far as the seat I did replace my stock seat with a sundowner touring seat. The stock seat was a bit flat for me and I needed something with some contour to it. I also don't know why many consider the fxdc an entry level big twin......it handles great and the the fact that it comes with the 96 inch but is about 200 pounds lighter than any of the tourers with the same motor gives it quite a stretch on the arms when you get on it! The bike is a fantastic commuter but easily will get you through a long weekend with an added sissy bar bag.......I do it all the time.

I'm 60 with a very bad back (waiting right now to see if I need surgery) and I just traded my 2007 Road King for a 2011 Super Glide Custom. Road King was just overkill for what I need, and the Super Glide is GREAT. Reminds me of what motorcycling is supposed to be about. I can't believe some people think it's HD's "entry level" big twin.It's all the bike you're ever gonna need. Besides that, it's BEAUTIFUL!!! I guess I'm old school, but the Street Bob is just too bland for me. The Super Glide is loaded with chrome.

I hope you do not need surgery; I am doing stretches every night to keep my back supple. Explore all options before the knife.

It is amazing that with your back you went to a lighter one; your post convinced me that these Dynas are the way to go.
Best of luck and good health to you.

I think that the superglide custom is perfect for me.........as far as the seat I did replace my stock seat with a sundowner touring seat. The stock seat was a bit flat for me and I needed something with some contour to it. I also don't know why many consider the fxdc an entry level big twin......it handles great and the the fact that it comes with the 96 inch but is about 200 pounds lighter than any of the tourers with the same motor gives it quite a stretch on the arms when you get on it! The bike is a fantastic commuter but easily will get you through a long weekend with an added sissy bar bag.......I do it all the time.

If my arms feel too stretched, I guess I could just put some pull back risers on it? Thanks for the excellent feedback!

Test ride the Fat Bob FXDF and it will your favorite Dyna...:D
Now your mixing me up!
Seriously, I will take another look at it. Thanks!

All depends on what you plan to do with it once you get it. I have a SB, with a windshield and bags. I can say the mini-apes do not bother me at all on the long hauls, but of course I have the windshield. I did ride it for a year without the shield and can say it was not bad on the highway at 70, got it more for keeping me warmer during the morning ride in. I venture to guess you will most likely change out the seat on either bike and it sounds like you may change the bars too, so you have to look at what you want to do to make it yours and then go with it.

The bikes are almost identical except for tank trim and few ammentites. You can even exchange wheels between the two models but the 08's used different bearings is all.

The OEM SG seat is not much for a passenger so don't base your decision on the seat. Personally I didn't like the OEM seat on my Street Bob either and went with a 2up Mustang.

If you like blacked engines then you will like the SB. If you like the bright metal engines then you will like the SG. They both ride identical other than the bars and yes you are correct with mini apes it sets you straight up more and the wind will push on your chest (if you don't have a shield). But again you can put whatever bars on it you want.

If you like the speedo on the tank then the SB is the one. If you like the speedo put on the riser clamp the SG is the one.

And I must confess having owned an SB for almost a year now, I like the Fat Bob better (except for the rear fender). The FB has everything the SG and SB don't, like wider front forks and wider front tire which rides better on grooves. It has a bigger gas tank and a 16" rear tire. And it just looks better to me (except for the rear fender).

Good luck with your choice, you could easily love any of them.

Back