free website stats program 103 Torque | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

103 Torque

Because an aquaintance of mine runs a race shop down round Hollywood Florida and he gave me the rear wheel dyno stats on his Kawa Voyager and they were much less than the advertised stats of 108 ft lbs.

He also told me that kawa admitted to him their stats are taken under controlled conditions. As far as Harley stat conditions I don't know. From my personal seat gravity I'd guess the HD stats are closer to rear wheel than my Kawa 1700 bagger is. But it's hard to judge since my bagger weighs 830 lbs as compared to the 650lbs of my old Street Bob. The Street Bob with it's nearly 200lbs less weight, V&H's pipes, Doebeck TFI and SE Big Air, accelerated noticably stronger than my zero miles unbroken in, and completely EPA strangled Kawa Nomad. But it sure did not ride as nice.

Maybe HD will say yay or nay if you ask around enough. They might be more forthcoming with it than they were their battery stats. Awhile back when I tired to find the amp hours and cold crank amps for the HD battery, but they simply were not available anywhere online or at the HD site. The local HD shop told me they did not have those stats but they were good batteries. So I did some research of my own and bought a Deka battery with 18ah and plenty of cca to suit me. When I got it, it was identical in size, shape etc to the battery that came from HD. Penn Manufacturing makes batteries for HD, Deka is owned by Penn Manufacturing. Of course it was $50 less than the local HD battery.

But to the OP I wouldn't worry what the stats are based on. Test ride any bike you are interested in (and even some you ain't to compare). If it ain't enough then there is always (while it's yet legal) the EPA freedom items put out by aftermarket folks.

Of course, I was just kidding. As of the last time we met, you had indicated an interest in a Kawasaki. Clearly you have bought that now. Back then I was ribbing you a bit. That is what I was referring too.

You're in luck! Stock numbers are impossible to come by as far as I can tell but I have in my posession a copy of the June 2012 Cycle World magazine and they did a full test on the 2012 FLS Softail Slim with the TC 103engine, factory stock. It's rare that they do full tests on HD's and I lucked out because I was curious about my 2012 Fat Bob. Here's their numbers:

Corrected RWHP 67.4 @ 4800 rpm (corrected to sea level performance)
Corrected RWTQ 88.4 @ 3150 rpm (corrected to sea level performance)

1/4 mile 12.96 seconds @ 100.45 mph
0-30 mph 1.4 sec
0-60 mph 4.2 sec
0-90 mph 9.4 sec
0-100 mph 12.5 sec
Top gear time to speed 40-60 = 6.2 sec, 60-80 = 7.2 sec (bet it would be way better in 5th gear)
top speed 115 mph
high/low/avg mpg, 37, 36, 36
There's a bunch of other specs if anyone is interested.

Also, keep in mind that the "B" motors supposedly have a little less hp and tq because of the counterbalance mechanism. I think I read somewhere that it amounts to 1 or 2 foot pounds and hp. It's annoying how they give tq and hp numbers from the crank to make the numbers bigger, an enduring auto manufacturer trick too in my humble experience.

Of course, I was just kidding. As of the last time we met, you had indicated an interest in a Kawasaki. Clearly you have bought that now. Back then I was ribbing you a bit. That is what I was referring too.

Oh, ok. I'm a little slow sometimes on the uptake. I thought you really wondered where I came up with the stats. The beer at the Iron Horse that day was good, cause I can't remember which Kawa I was telling you I was interested in. I ended up buying the Nomad. It delivers me to my PGR or whatever destinations much better than the paint shaker Street Bob did. Not as much fun around town, but so much more enjoyable on the road for an hour or more. And I be lying if I didn't admit I liked the $6500 I kept in my wallet, compared to the new RK offer the local HD place made me. But it does ride better even than the RK I test rode. Anyhow enough of that, since this is an HD forum.

. . . . . .
1/4 mile 12.96 seconds @ 100.45 mph
. . . . . .
It's annoying how they give tq and hp numbers from the crank to make the numbers bigger, an enduring auto manufacturer trick too in my humble experience.

That sounds about right, they had the 96 models listed in the mid 13's last year. The Dyna's are fast bikes, they have an excellent weight to power ratio. Especially once you add a few stage one items to um.

I'm afraid the perception fabrications or just plain lack of stats all together is here to stay and will probably get worse. At least it is that way with polictical ads.

Back