09 Heritage oil level

Discussion in 'Oil' started by DANNY MC, Jul 31, 2009.

1. DANNY MC

DANNY MC Active Member

Hiya people,still new on here,slowly gettin through threads but just lookin for some assurances ref my oil level.Here goes,when hot my oil level is about 5mm off the full (HOT) mark and just about half way between fill(cold) and full(hot) when engine cold,only done 800mls,should it be topped off or am i good to go,this level has been pretty constant over last couple of hundred miles,never really checked it for the first couple hundred(new bike and all that)look forward to ur advice,cheers

2. 03classic

03classic Junior Member

If you are checking while on the jiffy stand that is just about what you want.

3. DANNY MC

DANNY MC Active Member

Cheers fellas,manual says deffo on side stand(jiffy) says to allow to idle upright for 2min then place on stand then check,thanks guys

4. speedyron

speedyron Active Member

My 06 manual says to check it on jiffy

5. awall

awall Member

My manual for 09 Heritage says to check with engine hot and straight up

6. DANNY MC

DANNY MC Active Member

hi awall,just double checked owners manual and deffo on jiffy stand,idle upright on level ground,then on jiffy for check,also gave 2 local dealerships (preston,manchester) a call and they both confirmed the above check,somethin wrong if uk/usa manuals are contradicting each other.

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

Care must be taken when posting about the proper procedures for checking the different oil levels. The older bikes were checked on the side stand except for the softails where the newer ones , some get checked on the side stand and others straight up. It's hard to keep up with the changes in the models and how they are checked.

8. DANNY MC

DANNY MC Active Member

Cheers 4 the advice fellas,but heres another one for you...Had 1000 mile service done at dealership(heritage classic 09), then next day went to france,done approx 860miles all in,apart from about 50 miles it was motorway/freeway, average speed 75/80 mph.did cold oil check this am and found i was down to fill mark on d/stick,rode 40 mile to dealership did Hot check with mechanic and upto halfway up d/stick,got it topped up....now then prior to 1000 service not used any,very little motorway/freeway riding,just country roads/in town etc...Q-does the variation in riding style i.e motorway/freeway prolonged reasonable high speeds have a bearing on oil usage?..sorry this is a long winded question,but its my first hd so not sure if this is the norm, p.s wife has Nightster 09,did same trip and hers is fine.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  9. glider

glider Veteran Member

More than likely it was shorted when the service was done. Wouldn't be the first time.

10. jody7734

jody7734 Active Member

Doesnt it say on the dipstick how it should be checked? my last the bikes did.