free website stats program 08 Ultra spins over ut will not start | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Ultra spins over ut will not start

orange68

A friend has a 08 ultra and he says it will spin over but not start until he turns either the ignition or kill switch off and then turn one back on and it starts right up. Seems to be something electrical but don't know what it is. Strange that he can turn either the ignition or kill switch off and then turn back on and it starts right up. Anyone ever had this problem of heard of such?

Does the fuel pump run before the second try? Basics are spark and fuel, has he pulled a spark plug to check for spark on the first try? How many miles, over due a fuel filter?

I had a similiar problem with my 2000 silverado(I know its not a HD) the fuel pump was not holding pressure,so the few seconds it runs when you first go to start was not long enough to build up pressure,by turning the switch off and on it would build up. A quick lesson on FI,when you first turn on the switch fuel pump only runs for a few secs,you can hear it start then stop,then once the engine starts it will run continously. His pump is either to weak for that to be long enough or possibly a leak in the hose inside the gas tank.By cycling the switch off and on he is forcing the pump to build more pressure. My guess is the problem will get worse until it wont run at all. I would suspect a leak in that line in the tank,makes sense when you think about it,with a small leak pressure bleeds off after the bike sits,that momentary run of the pump does not build enough pressure...Tom..

Does your friend have a Security System/Immobilizer? When he switches on the ignition for the first time, does the security key icon continue to flash or goes out and stays off? Maybe having trouble sensing the fob nearby.

Finally figured out what the problem is. With seat removed, an attemp tostart the bike was made and the mechanic noticed the Power commander V lights did not light up the first attempt and then the swich was cycled and the lights on the power commander lite up, then the bike started right up. We removed the power commander and no more problems. The Power Commander was installed last August, so the owner will be contacting Moto Fuel on Monday to see how well the back their product. The machanic which is very well respected as a great mechanic in our area still stands that the power commander V is a great unit and he sees very little problems with them. Any one have any issues with the Power Commander V and service from Fuel Moto? Any why the bike owner has pieve of mind he will not be left stranded.

Thats why I prefer the sert over piggyback devices, yes if in the original write up with that problem the first thing I would have done is bypass it to see if that was problem,glad to see he got it running....

Thats why I prefer the sert over piggyback devices, yes if in the original write up with that problem the first thing I would have done is bypass it to see if that was problem,glad to see he got it running....

He is lucky he did not blow the ECM.

Back