free website stats program 08 EGC Shhhhhhhh!! | Harley Davidson Forums

08 EGC Shhhhhhhh!!

Mavagrand

Got 8,000 miles on my bike. Had the 1k service done at the dealer where I had them install Syn3. I did the 5k service myself, replacing the Syn3 w/Royal Purple/M1 in Tranny/HDFormula+ in Primary. When I had about 6k on the bike, I was sitting at a light and this SHHHHHHHHHH sound began. Don't know any other way to describe it. It is a constant SHHHHHH, it almost sounds like the front brakes rubbing but I wasn't moving. The sound is constant and seems to increase/decrease with my speed. It's not loud and when I took it to the dealer, they said the engine sounded "normal". This is not my my first Harley and not my first twin cam. I know the noise is there, I just don't know what it is. Could it just be the way my scoot reacts to the new fluids?? there is no tapping or anything else and I don't know what a "top end" going bad would sound like. Everything else is good w/bike.

It is a constant SHHHHHH, it almost sounds like the front brakes rubbing but I wasn't moving. The sound is constant and seems to increase/decrease with my speed. 2008 Electra Glide Classic

OK. I agree that you should adjust the chain. They should have done that at 1k miles, but it is easy to do, so you should.

You make some interesting observations. The sound is related to engine speed rather than bike speed (rolling). So besides the drive chain, you have the cam drive chains on the right side. That bike should be the roller chain with hydraulic tensioners, but you might put a stethoscope or aluminium rod on the engine/primary to see if you can localize the sound. Since it is RPM related rather than MPH related, that should direct your search.

TQ

Last edited:
correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that model a self adjusting primary chain...?
I know I'm going to take some flack on this but I don't like syn3 or for that matter any synthetic oil. For me, a good quality fossil lubricant and due dilligence is the only way to go...
My Bad

You are correct the 07's 08's 09's Self Adjusting

Ride Safe
BuffaloBILL

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that model a self adjusting primary chain...?
I know I'm going to take some flack on this but I don't like syn3 or for that matter any synthetic oil. For me, a good quality fossil lubricant and due dilligence is the only way to go...

Yes, but Glider has a procedure to use to get the auto adjuster to ensure it has done so. Will try to get that.

Here ya go:

Automatic Chain Tensioner Adjustment - Harley Davidson Community

On the oil for the primary, agree with NOT using a synthetic in the primary. Better to use something specifically formulated for the chaincase and a wet clutch application.

For the tranny and the engine, I like the full synthetics (NOT SYN3) with engine oil in the engine, and gear oil in the tranny.

TQ

Last edited:
Back