free website stats program 07 Sportster Electrical Gremlin...help | Harley Davidson Forums

07 Sportster Electrical Gremlin...help

2007 Sportster 1200L

Description of problem: On occassion I will turn the ignition on, put kill switch to run, wait for EFI to do its thing, and when I hit start button, wham all the electrical power goes off, no lights, no speedo, no electronics whatsoever, as if the battery is completely discharged. The thing acts as if there is no power whatsoever. I have to turn the ignition back to off, let it sit for a minute, then turn it back to ignition, and it starts fine. Whenever this happens, the clock on the speedo resets to 12:00 (hence, all power to the unit really was gone). Bike seems to run fine once started. Afraid I will be out somewhere and stranded when it decides not to start at all. Anyone familiar with this problem and the potential fix?

Thanks.

Battery load test if cables are not clean and tight. Do they have white stuff on the battery terminals? That is acid so clothes will be with holes in the cotton if not careful.

Thanks guys,

There seems to be uniformity of opinion here, so I will give those ideas a whirl and see if the problem goes away.

If that doesn't fix the problem, look into the ignition switch, the contacts sometimes cause a problem.

On my 06 sport---- I was told some bikes having trouble with the KEY IGNITION off-on switch .......

They were thinking I had that problem with 3 (4) stators going bad with-in 3 yrs and 25000 miles........

I wonder if there is a NOTICE by harley on the key switch????

signed....BUBBIE

I was thinking the same thing...ignition switch...based on the young age of the bike and relative "heavy use" it gets. Do you have a lot of "paraphenalia" hanging off the key and have you done any mods that entailed moving the wiring in the bars or main harness?

No extra stuff at all hanging off the key chain. No modifications to the bars/wiring that I am aware of (I am the second owner.....don't know much about the history of the bike, but everything appears to have been left stock by the original purchaser). Bike had 3100 miles on it when I bought it, and appeared to be in pretty meticulous condition, service records on hand at HD dealership that originally sold it.

It just turned out to be a bad connection on the positive cable terminal. Looks like it just shook loose from banging around on the back roads.

Back