free website stats program 07 low idle speed after warmed up. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

07 low idle speed after warmed up.

Breeze has you covered on this one. My '07 Dyna did the same thing occasionally until Tank tipped me to the IAC cleanout bit.

There was a pattern as to when the idle dropped low and sometimes cut out completely. First appeared on the Blue Ridge Parkway when I would pull from one overlook to another, accelerate, then back off quickly for the next overlook. Seems the injection system got out of sync, compounded by the IAC.

Good luck.

Injector connections looked good but will recheck.

Wiggle the wires while it is running does it make any change? The wire harness is pretty tight and could pose problems. The biggest trouble maker I see on any system is poor electrical connections and low batteries jMO

Update guys......:) .......I bought charged and installed new battery few days back. rode bike a while next day it finally started the low idle issue again, went home let bike cool took tank off. checked all electrical connections IAC,fuel inj.,TPS,IAT,checked all ground wires.all seemed ok. Removed the IAC it was so covered in black carbon build up,used throttle body cleaner and tooth brush to clean it up amazing the part looks like it is made of metal now not black plastic......... removed map sensor so I would not chance ruining it when I sprayed down throttle body, cleaned all above assemblies reinstalled doubled checked wire connectors.Added seafoam to new tank of gas and so far been riding bike with out problem verdict still out as temps are cool and riding time limited but I have noticed that idle is much smoother and throttle response better. Once I can take bike out on a long term ride I will post any issues but I do believe I have made progress with the IAC and cleaning throttle body.Thanks for everyones input and help.

Jack i did notice the TPS connector had some white crusty build up on it,possibly from water migration past rubber seals but if I under stand the TPS correctly increased impedance or poor connection should cause increase in idle speed.Cleaned connectors reinstalled using a little dielectric grease to help with water migration. I also used the dielectric grease on other connectors I removed just as a extra precaution. thanks for sharing your knowledge here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack i did notice the TPS connector had some white crusty build up on it,possibly from water migration past rubber seals but if I under stand the TPS correctly increased impedance or poor connection should cause increase in idle speed.Cleaned connectors reinstalled using a little dielectric grease to help with water migration. I also used the dielectric grease on other connectors I removed just as a extra precaution. thanks for sharing your knowledge here.

Glad to help, I had a similar problem with my 07, turned out to be the torque smoothing down load and a bad plug wire, hope you get it solved good luck:s

I had issues with a high idle speed a Year and half ago it ended up being the Throttle Position sensor connection poor. I did not realize the connection was actual issue until I went to replace sensor with a new one I already bought. The connector had some crusty build up like water had gotten past rubber seal. cleaned up real good used dielecric grease and reinstalled old TPS to be sure what real issue was, to this day the high idle speed problem has not happened again. Just in case you high idle ghost reappears check this.....Thanks for your input on my issues.

Jack what is the torque smoothing down load you mentioned and what is your opinion if I should have any other remapping done since I have The Big Sucker and screaming eagle mufflers. Dealer says no need, I ask cause the low idle issue finally happened again after I could ride it long enough to get every thing up to temp for a while.Issue was not as bad as before but still dropped to 700 for 20 -30 secs. then things smoothed out. Could there be any of the sensors at higher temp breaking down, any other suggestions appreciated.

Jack what is the torque smoothing down load you mentioned and what is your opinion if I should have any other remapping done since I have The Big Sucker and screaming eagle mufflers. Dealer says no need, I ask cause the low idle issue finally happened again after I could ride it long enough to get every thing up to temp for a while.Issue was not as bad as before but still dropped to 700 for 20 -30 secs. then things smoothed out. Could there be any of the sensors at higher temp breaking down, any other suggestions appreciated.

http://www.cvoharley.com/yabb2/Attachments/M1186.pdf Here is the H D bulletin

Thanks JACK I believe dealer did this within 1st yr I owned bike I bought in july 06 and there was a rattle or knocking noise in 5th 6th gear under load so they did a upgrade to computer which deleted that problem, at that time really had no low idle issues except on extreme hot days 110 degrees or higher ambient temps. I will check with them to see if they can look back that far and verify I actually have that upgrade. Still chasing the culprit to my Low idle issue after bike warms oil to 180 and higher prior to that really no issues with low idle. removed Tank & checked all elect. connection TPS,INJ.TFI Piggy Backs, AIR intake temp, cleaned IAC removed from bike to do this it was covered in solid black soot used a throttle body cleaner and toothbrush to get it looking good , made sure to remove map sensor before cleaning ...it was clean nothing significant to note there, throttle body had some soot not much cleaned anyways .Made sure all connectors clean and seated good on reassemble. I have added sea foam to gas ran 1 full tank will add MMO to this tank. I have done three plug changes with some gap changes plugs always seem to be reading good burn. Would it be good idea to install new Idle speed sensor just incase at higher temps causing issue or is there any other electrical demons could be culprit ? Such as this engine temp indicator I read about, just not sure where or how it effects the ecu maps. Remember I also just installed a new factory battery prior to all this as it was 5 yrs old. I also added a 125 watt ARC Audio 2 speaker amp and 6.5 speakers which add to the load on charging system this was done back in oct 2011 but this Idle problem existed prior to that & still had old battery then. Even after new battery, if radio up and low idle hits below 900 I still have voltage drop to 12.5 -13. Going to check out charging system as per the link you added from JP cycles Thanks for that. I can turn off spot lights and amps slowly rise back up.I really hate having to take to dealer here in Midland cause they always seem to say they can't find issues or replace stuff and charge for repairs without any real fix to problems. I also have had few occasions where friends had other issues develop after dealer work. I am fairly mechanically inclined as I have done many old car restorations over last 15 yrs. just not much back round with MC and all the newer ecu stuff.Any other direction or links appreciated guys.

Rydn.. I have had this issue intermittently since about a year after my bike was new... Dealer can't (or doesn't want bothered to)find the problem.. I have a PCIII and had thought that it was the culprit but after reading this thread I am rethinking it. Mine will drop to a low idle sometimes on hot days or sometimes it will high idle. Like you, if I shut it off and restart the problem goes away. Did the prescribed cleaning tips I found here but the weather has been bad so I won't know if it worked or not but I doubt it. I love my bike but had I known the issues the 07;s were going to have I wouldn't have bought it.. I would have stuck it out for another year and got the 08 but hindsight is 20/20.. Hope you get it figured out..if you do please post it as I will do the same...

ride safe
Jack

Back