free website stats program 07 and 09 Ultra new member questions | Harley Davidson Forums

07 and 09 Ultra new member questions

Chevy327

As mentioned in intro, lifetime Gold Wing and Valkyrie rider here. Thinking about making the switch. Long story short, Found two bikes I'm interested in, both ultra classics. an 07 with 8k and 09 with 23k. Both cherry. Questions: 07 I believe is 88 ci with 5 speed and 09 has 96 wit six speed, I "heard" the early model six speed trannys had some problems. True? Should I stay away from them? I the 96 a big upgrade from the 88? Any year model specifics I need to worry about with either bike? In other words anything specific that happened in 07 or 09 that is known? Lastly, what is the main differences between the two years besides the obvious engine and tranny. At some time they went to a "wider" or longer frame? Does that play into this discussion. I know its a lot of questions and I appreciate it very much in advance. I know Gold Wings not Harleys, yet.

Here's my take on your question I've had the 88 with a Road King wrapped around it later went to an Ultra with the 96 cubic inch the night and day difference from stock even after having the 03 Road King upgraded with a stage 1 later went to 2013 ultra with the 103. Each provided more power and quicker acceleration.
At one time I had a 08 Ultra and 09 RKC. In 09 there was a frame design change, improved ride and handeling. 2014 was the first year of the Rushmore design with more improvements in engine and style.
My thoughts would be 09 and newer, 14 and up if you can.
I also recomend to go to the dealer to test ride a few.

Joel thanks so much for the reply. So with the 09 it would have the new frame design. Have you heard of any tranny problems when they first introduced the six speed? Also is 23k a lot for the 96 motor in terms of longevity? I take care of my stuff, that is never a problem. Again thanks for responding

Both the '07 and '09 are equipped with the '96" motor and 6 speed Cruise Drive transmission. Aside from the new frame and swing arm which supposedly improved handling (many say they can't tell the difference) lots of other new stuff in '09; 2-1-2 exhaust system, engine isolation system, isolated drive ystem, Tour-Pak rack, 28-spoke cast aluminum wheels, 17-inch front/16-inch rear, Dunlop D407 Multi-Tread 180/65-16 rear tire/white striip, Dunlop D407 130/80-17 front tire/white stripe, shorty antennas, LED rear fender tip light.

Many complained about the tall 6th gear in the '07 model with a 32/66 secondary and 2.79 final drive ratio and many changed trans pulleys as a remedy. In '09 the final drive was changed to 32/68 and a 2.87 final drive ratio which is much better for a heavy touring bike. I budget allows, the '09 would be the better purchase IMHO.

Coming off Gold Wings and Valkyries, you really need to ride a Harley touring bike for 50-100 miles, even if you have to rent one, to be sure you are ready for the adjustment..........:rolleyes:. There will be one..........;)

Thanks dolt for the reply. I rented a 2013 ultra in Dallas last spring, that is what got me on this whole deal. I have never ben on a Harley and wanted just to try it. I had no intention of switching. But it just felt right. I rode about two hundred miles and had a blast. It was more comfortable to me than my Valkyrie, even though many find that hard to believe. I'm 6'3 and it just felt better. Plus I miss the cruise and the fuel injection. Again I'm leaning toward the 09 as you suggested. Thanks again.

Bought a '07 Ultra Glide Classic in 2007. As mentioned it has the 96CI and 6-speed.
Early 6-speeds had some complaints of a noisy gear (I think it was 5th gear) but I've never experienced any noise. None!
2,600 RPM is 70 MPH for me.
Upgraded frame on the '09 but I've been happy with my '07 frame.
I've done the normal upgrades over ten years. Progressive Mono-Tube shocks in the front and Progressive shocks in the rear. Mustang seat and the bike rides like a couch!
Lots of bells and whistles through the years and I'm happy and wouldn't even think of a new bike.
49,000 and I'd ride it anywhere.
Replaced the compensator a few years ago but that seems to be a normal problem at times.
That's been it for "problems."

I did take a '17 out for a test ride. Seems to have power but my '07 seems about the same. (I did give it a cam job last year (2015).
Really woke up the bike.

Love my '07 UGC.

I too came from Gold Wings to Harley and have had an 09 Ultra since new. The only thing I've done to it is add a stage 1. 50,000 miles later it still runs like new. Go for the 09...it has the new frame and suspension as well as the 96 engine. You won't be disappointed.

If You ride each bike.You should be able to feel the handling difference in the 09.Feels much more stable.I had an 08 and moved to a 12 and the handling stablity was much improved.

Back