free website stats program 06 Ultra electrical issues | Harley Davidson Forums

06 Ultra electrical issues

ultrabad

Hi,

New user here. I have a 2006 ultra, just bought it and am having problems with the radio. It lights up but no display. Also the volume seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes the hand control works, sometimes it doesnt. But never any display. The CB doesnt do anything either. Any idea as well where I can find an owners manual or should I just buy a repair manual. Any car (pretty much) ive always been able to download one off the internet but cant find one for a Harley. I checked all the fuses and they are good. New battery as well. Charges great. This bike was stored for about 3 years but I have no idea where but it is really clean with no abuse at all. Just issues with some of the electrical on the fairing. Thanks for any ideas, websites I might be able to go to etc...

Welcome to the forum ultrabad... My 06 Ultra has the same no display as yours
Try this first, some times the contrast is set to dim, take audio cd and turn ignition to acc. With cd playing push up on the audio switch (lower outside knob on left handlebar), volume should increase, now push audio switch in 3 times and should bring you to display mode... Now push audio switch up and with any luck display will come back... Hope it works...

Thanks Jack,

I have tried the update several times but for some reason it wont allow me to burn it to a CD. Its kind of odd becasue I burn a lot of CD's and am very familiar with how to do it but its just not a supported format so not sure what I am going to do. MAy have to take it to a dealer

Thanks for the help Larry,

I tried your suggestion as well with no luck. Must be some other problem I have not figured out yet. But I did get the CD player to work so its a positive step in the right direction. Just gotta keep at it. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jack,

I have tried the update several times but for some reason it wont allow me to burn it to a CD. Its kind of odd becasue I burn a lot of CD's and am very familiar with how to do it but its just not a supported format so not sure what I am going to do. MAy have to take it to a dealer

Good Luck and let us know what the fix is, always need new info for our data bank, Capital Jack:s

Hi,

New user here. I have a 2006 ultra, just bought it and am having problems with the radio. It lights up but no display. Also the volume seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes the hand control works, sometimes it doesnt. But never any display. The CB doesnt do anything either. Any idea as well where I can find an owners manual or should I just buy a repair manual. Any car (pretty much) ive always been able to download one off the internet but cant find one for a Harley. I checked all the fuses and they are good. New battery as well. Charges great. This bike was stored for about 3 years but I have no idea where but it is really clean with no abuse at all. Just issues with some of the electrical on the fairing. Thanks for any ideas, websites I might be able to go to etc...

Welcome to the forum. The owners manual has some info the service manual doesn't. Zanotti or Chicago HD both offer good internet discounts, those two books are worth the price. When trying to burn a cd for the radio, you must have your burn speed at below 8, it's in the instructions near the bottom. Since you mentioned some other "electrical" problems in the fairing, it would be worth while to take the outer off and check all the connections. It's only 7 screws to remove it, and nothing falls out.:D Once you get over the shock of seeing how many wires are behind the outer fairing, it's pretty simple to trace.

Sorry to hear that my fix didn't work ultrabad, worked a couple of times for me the first year I owned my Ultra... I cooked mine this year, the gray/black wire for the spot lights rubbed on the top corner of the radio, screen filled with black lines, then went blank. Radio still works fine, just a little harder to use (miss the clock the most)... About that updated software, I burned it both on a PC and Mac, would not install... Another member, noticed that it is maybe the 06 bikes that have issues with it... Talked to a few dealers, some where helpful some not, I want to take it out my self and hand it to them, but they say, for extended warranty to cover it they have to remove it... Go figure eh!!! Anyway, please keep us posted on what you find out...

I figured out how to burn the CD using Roxio. No idea why but Windows Media wouldnt let me burn it. Only issue with Roxio, I thought is it wouldnt allow me to change the burn speed below 4. Thought I was gona be out of luck with that but it did update my system. Plays a lot louder now and the hand controls work. Still no display. Thinkin about pullin that outer fairing off and checkin the connections but gonna wait until my service manual gets here. Also gotta order an owners manual so thanks for the tip on the manual Breeze.

Hey, ultrabad there is another post about radio display (or lack of).. TearkessTom removed the fuse over night and it fixed it.. Worth a try!!! I'll be trying it this weekend...:D:D

Thats awesome I will be trying that tonight and hope for the best. I just got my H/D service manual in the mail today. Am looking forward to playin with that. Now I guess I gotta get an owners manual and a electrical troubleshooting manual. Ohh well back to ebay.

Back