free website stats program '06 Sporty Stock Speedometer w/o TSM/TSSM | Harley Davidson Forums

'06 Sporty Stock Speedometer w/o TSM/TSSM

I have an '06 Sportster that I spent last winter chopping into a custom. I'll attach a pic.

The electrical system was gutted. I have an aftermarket (wires-plus) control module handling the blinkers and lights. The original ECM is still on the thing. It's handling what it usually handles, and it had no stock interaction with the TSM/TSSM.

The speedometer is the problem. I'm trying to use the stock speedo, and it won't gauge speed or track mileage. It lights up just fine, shows the original mileage, but also shows the security key symbol (which pops on a few seconds after starting it up).

I have the speedo wired up correctly, according to the Clymer manual. I've checked and double checked and triple checked. The obvious issue is the wire that goes from the speedo to the TSM/TSSM. From all my research it looks like that wire is supposed to go ground when all is well. I ran a ground line for it, but in the end it didn't work. I did try attaching it to a positive line, but got no better results.

Can any one advise me on how to get the speedometer working properly here? Is it even possible to get the thing working? If it isn't; can any one recommend a decent aftermarket one that'll run on the stock sensor, and that matches the stock dimensions?

All advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• SportsterBnADone.jpg
    SportsterBnADone.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 10
I ran a diagnostic on the speedo. The ECM shows no codes, the Speedometer shows U1255, and the all the others show no response. All that makes sense since all the other things were removed from the bike.

The U1255 code is described as meaning:

U1255 Serial Data Error/Missing Message TSM/TSSM

Which, again, makes sense. There's no message coming from the TSM/TSSM.

Can I trick the thing into working, or do I have to replace it? Any ideas here?

Back