free website stats program 06 RKC charging sys please read | Harley Davidson Forums

06 RKC charging sys please read

COWBOY_BC

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago the engine and bat light came on on the ol lady's 06 road king. So I thought after 5 years the battery is toast so I checked it with a volt meter and it went from 12.7 to almost 14 vdc the bike needed tires so I took it into my guy and he checked the charging system and put a new battery in and left on a 4 day trip. Four days later were almost home and the bike quits and the battery is dead. So after swapping batterys and boosting one bike off the other we made it home.

So next day I charge up the battery fully and put it back in the road king and check it with a volt meter and did a milli volt drain test, clear the code and it's all good And it's 12.9 vdc so I check it in the morning and it's still 12.9. Yesterday she rides it to work and comes home and the bat and engine light are on and it's 12.7 and still 12.7 this morning next day after wok it 12.1

So in a nutshell what I'm getting at is it's not draining, the battery is new and if the voltage goes up when it's running it's not likely to be the stator so I'm thinking maybe the regulator is not doing it's job when it heats up. Anyway tonight I'll check the stator and connections and go from there.

What do you all think. Had a similar experience.

Thanks

I would have to say to check all the connections in the battery sysem at both ends of the cable and also don't forget the junction point in front of the battery on the neg cable, I think the 06 had that too
You may have a loose connection that is appearing as a bad battery at times. Don't forget to suspect the cables themselves as a source of the problem too.

The other thing is that the light comes on higher than 12.7 seems a bit high for it to come on which would be caused by a loose connection?

I would change the battery cables, they may look good on the outside they may be corroded on the inside.
Good luck.

The other thing is that the light comes on higher than 12.7 seems a bit high for it to come on which would be caused by a loose connection?

12.7 is a fully charged battery voltage, I would suspect a bad regulator and perform the test and as Glider said check and clean and secure all the connections first:s

On your RK, how do you know what the voltage (12.7v) is when the light comes on? Is a VM hooked up to it?

Lastly, I would check the regulator ground at the transmission bracket, for snugness.

Cowboy, Glider is very intellegent. I would recomend his advice as well. also look into the following.
Usually if your rotor is bad the charge will work at low idol to mid range but you Might need to check charge rate at hi idles as the issue I have found in flhrc is the splines of the rotor tend to waller out causing a short in the rotor to stator field thus charging occurs at idle to mid range throttle but under heavy acceleration it shorts out causing a drain on the battery. Usually an early symptom of this is a light squeeling noise when idling at a stop light. Hope this helps!!!

Back