06 electraglide high idle at times

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by brother, Jul 25, 2009.

1. brother

brother Member

My o6 electraglide some times will idle at 1300 for a while,the idle back down to 950 or so. I cleaned my aic valve twice and it looked like it was fixed for a while,but did it again going to work this morning. Some black stuff came out of the valve when cleaning the 1st time. The bike has 15,500 miles on it.Put a cobra 2 to 1,big sucker air cleaner and pcv about a month ago,but it did it the 1st time when it was stock with about 10k on it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  2. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Member

My 2007 FLHX will do the same thing when I first crank it up. After it's run for a few minutes, seems to settle back to it's normal 850 rpm idle.

3. brother

brother Member

Thank's for the reply wagonmaster,but it does it after it's at operating temps.

4. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Member

Mine does, too! After it's been shut off, even for a brief period it sometimes will go to about 1100 + or - and gradually fall back down to 850.

5. HarleyHarry

HarleyHarry Banned

With all due respect wagonmaster, I think Bigbrother is talking about something different to a cold start or restart high idle.

Allthough it sound a lot nicer, 850 idle on your '07 is a little on the slow side when it comes to pumping the oil around.

6. ultrabadboy

ultrabadboy New Member

Check with the dealer. They had a recall or service bulletin for the hose in the tank off the fuel pump rubbing a hole in it which affects the idle. They replaced mine under warranty when it was in for 25,000 mile service.

7. pawpaw01

pawpaw01 Member

You may want to add some Seafoam fuel additive to the next couple of tanks of gas. My 2008 FXSTC was starting to develop a very similar high idle issue, and I tried Seafoam after reading about it on this site. It actually has made my bike run much better and I haven't had any more high idle issues either. Just my 2 cents worth... Ride safe.

8. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Heard a number of guys complain about this problem. One potential contributor can be that they were "goosing" the throttle just before shutting the bike off. I suggested they just let the bike idle for a wee bit before opening the kill switch. In a couple of cases this was the cure. "The simple stuff first!!

TQ