free website stats program 05 FLHTpi - Starting problems | Harley Davidson Forums

05 FLHTpi - Starting problems

CRCKR

Hi everyone, first post here so bear with me if this has been answered. I can't find a topic on it that matches my issue.

My bike sat for a couple of years due to circumstances beyond my control. I changed all of her fluids and she started right up, at least at first she did.

Now I'm at a situation where when I try to start her up the relays next to the battery click but the solenoid never engages. I've tested the battery at a shop, the guys said it is good. I cleaned up all of the contacts and it started straight up but every once in a while it wouldn't do anything. Sometimes, after 10 minutes or a half an hour (cold or hot) it would snap to motion and the bike is good to go. A couple of nights ago I went to a VFW dinner and when I left it would not start again, I went back on Saturday and on Sunday and banged the starter and it didn't make any difference.

I've ordered a solenoid rebuild kit since it was cheap... is there something else anyone would suggest that I check? The switch seems like it is good since I hear the relays clicking.

Thanks in advance, keep the rubber down!
Scott

Just saw a recent post that sounds really similar to my issues. I'm watching it and have posted there to see if there was a resolution for the other rider.

Back