05 FLHTpi - Starting problems

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by FloridaScott, May 19, 2014.

1. CRCKR

CRCKR Active Member Contributor

Hi everyone, first post here so bear with me if this has been answered. I can't find a topic on it that matches my issue.

My bike sat for a couple of years due to circumstances beyond my control. I changed all of her fluids and she started right up, at least at first she did.

Now I'm at a situation where when I try to start her up the relays next to the battery click but the solenoid never engages. I've tested the battery at a shop, the guys said it is good. I cleaned up all of the contacts and it started straight up but every once in a while it wouldn't do anything. Sometimes, after 10 minutes or a half an hour (cold or hot) it would snap to motion and the bike is good to go. A couple of nights ago I went to a VFW dinner and when I left it would not start again, I went back on Saturday and on Sunday and banged the starter and it didn't make any difference.

I've ordered a solenoid rebuild kit since it was cheap... is there something else anyone would suggest that I check? The switch seems like it is good since I hear the relays clicking.

Thanks in advance, keep the rubber down!
    Scott

2. CRCKR

CRCKR Active Member Contributor

Just saw a recent post that sounds really similar to my issues. I'm watching it and have posted there to see if there was a resolution for the other rider.