free website stats program 05 Fatboy Primary Fluid | Harley Davidson Forums

05 Fatboy Primary Fluid

Just got back up on the road with a 2005 Fatboy. Only 4k miles on it but all the fluids needed changing. Slapped a 20-50 syntec in for oil, Royal Purple 75-90 in the gear case but I'm stumped as what to use for the primary. Dealer says come buy this but didnt bother to > pfft

Knows most in here has a away around the dealer costs.

Just got back up on the road with a 2005 Fatboy. Only 4k miles on it but all the fluids needed changing. Slapped a 20-50 syntec in for oil, Royal Purple 75-90 in the gear case but I'm stumped as what to use for the primary. Dealer says come buy this but didnt bother to > pfft

Knows most in here has a away around the dealer costs.

I suggest the following lubricants:

Engine: FULL synthetic 20W-50 VTwin engine oil
Tranny: FULL synthetic 75W-140 GL-5 gear lube
Primary: Fit-for-purpose wet clutch chaincase lube like HD Formula + or Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil

TQ

Appreciate that 1 Tquentin. Was fixin change gear lube l8r this evenin glad I asked. I'll swap that 75-90 for 75-140 and I'll grab the Spectro for the primary...cheers

John; That 75/90 is perfectly fine if you already have it in there. That's what I have in my '07 trans.
I also prefer HD formula + for my primary, but any quality 30 will be good.
HD recommends 20/50 in all 3 holes, so you see it is not critical. But we sure do have our opinions about it!

Depends where you live IMO, I live in the north where the temps are cooler:newsmile062: and I've run 75/90 for 20 years, but if I lived in the south where it's hot:beach I would run something heavier JMHO

H D Formula plus is fine, I run 75/140 synthetic in my tranny it likes it:p

Ive been using valvoline 20w50 for bikes with wet clutches for better clutch protection .. works pretty well

Back