free website stats program 05 Fatboy Oil tank leak | Harley Davidson Forums

05 Fatboy Oil tank leak

Firehog

Looking for help, this is my first post here. I have taken a pile of info from this site and now I need some help. I have a 05 Fatboy 15th Ann. with an 95 in her. no mods to motor. When I take her out onto the highway and ride for a bit then stop, I find oil has been leaking from the oil filler cap down the tank onto my pipes. This has not been a problems until this year. Only 3000 miles on this one and I have changed nothing. I checked the oil lines to see if they are leaking and found no oil in that area. Oil pressure remains around 30 psi and oil temp hovers around 200 degrees. It has happened a couple of times now and the dip stick shows low after the leak, I let her idle for a short bit and shut her down and recheck the oil, still low. I let her cool down and fill the tank to the mark on the stick as I always have and it blows oil out again. Does not do it when running around town. The filler cap is stock and fits tight. I have checked everything I can think of, any ideas?

Are you checking the oil level when the engine is hot as on a dry sump system this is the only way to be sure of correct oil level
when cold should check for a presence of oil if there are no cold oil markings on the dipstick

Brian

Stock original dipstick? Have you tried running the oil level a bit low on the stick and see if it still does it?

Thanks for the info, I have the dip stick that came stock on the bike in place and it continues to blow oil out. I have run the oil low to see if it continues and it still blows out of the fill neck around the dip stick seal (o-ring) just got it back from the dealer and they could find nothing wrong. Sorry it took so long to get back on, had major computer problems. I think I will try a diiferent dip stick again and see if that helps. Any other ideas would be great. Thanks

Back