free website stats program 05 Deuce - funny noise on right side of engine | Harley Davidson Forums

05 Deuce - funny noise on right side of engine

Deuceman144

G'day team,
I started the bike on the weekend and discovered a funny whir/jingle type sound coming from the right side of the engine,,,, it's hard to pinpoint but sort of sounds like a loose exhaust fitting which I'm pretty sure it's not. It's done 65k and it's going in next week to have the lifters etc done anyway but just wanted to ask if anyone knows what this could be? One thought was maybe a broken nylon chain tensioner? :wall
Thanks for any ideas you may have,,
Al

Hope it it not the chain tensioner, They tend to scatter when they get to the point they make noise. It is a likely cluprit though.

I know this is a bit old, but for what it's worth, I would follow Glider's advice. Don't even start the bike until you at least pull off the cam cover and check the outer tensioner and try to get a look at the inside one with a mirror. I've read of tensioners failing before 10K miles - if the sound you heard is indeed a failed tensioner, you could wreck the entire engine if riding is continued. You said lifters are being replaced - I would have the tensioners done too.

yeah, what they said. those tensioners can destroy the oil pump, the little broken pieces of tensioner can get into the cam plate and you cannot be sure if it is clean, so you have to buy that too. its a mess.

Hey, thanks for the info - it was the tensioners.
It seems outdated that HD use a tufnel type material for these rather than nylon or similar. The tufnel chips with wear resulting in fragments contaminating the oil and causing significant issues as discussed.
Anyway,,, thanks again for all your help and advice,,,, the works been done and the bikes never run better - rock on!!
Cheers,
Al

Back