free website stats program 04 Road King hard to start when warm | Harley Davidson Forums

04 Road King hard to start when warm

trigaz

Hi Guys, this is my first post. I have a 04 Road King that starts brilliantly when cold, and runs well. The only problem is that it is really hard to start when warm.

This problem occurs when it has been left for a while (half hour or more) but is still warm. The bike appears to be flooded as it smells rich (I don't twist the throttle or anything like that prior to starting) and I can get it started by holding the throttle open. When I do this, it starts and revs fairly high for 20-30 seconds after the throttle is closed off. Often the bike will run like a bit of a pig for a bit after starting it like this.

A mate has suggested that maybe the an injector is not closing off and fuel is leaking into the cylinder at rest. Any opinions?

Thanks

Thanks Glider.

I did the DTC check and it comes up with a fault - P0118 ET sensor voltage open/high EFI.

Is this something that I can fix easily myself?

Thanks

Why not post that above in your first post?

That's the engine temp sensor on the rear of the front cylinder. It threads in and can be changed if it's bad.

Back