free website stats program 04 Road King-General Inquiry | Harley Davidson Forums

04 Road King-General Inquiry

Donut

I have recently purchased this stock, carbureted 2004 Road King with 25,000 miles from a friend who has since passed from cancer. The bike is in immaculate condition and has been well maintained. During the handover about two weeks before his passing he mentioned something about an overhaul/ upgrade? Due to the situation, I was a bit distracted by the events and I find myself at a loss as to what he was referring to. Also in the last week or so I noticed a slight ticking when the motor is warmed up, not sure if it is common or it is something I should be concerned with. I do not live anywhere close to a shop where I can drop in for advice, the closest is over a two hour drive in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Any assistance with these matters would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and I look fwd to educating myself through this forum. Donut

I agree that Harleys can be a little noisy when they are warmed up, but if this is something new you might want to check or replace the lifters. Sorry about your friend, and he might well have been talking about having the cam chain and shoes replaced. At 25,000 mi it is something you at least want to inspect.

Overhaul?? Don't know what that could mean other than a service (Oil & filter)

As far as an upgrade, the only things that come to mind on a stock bike is a stage 1 which is a low restriction intake and slip on mufflers which is generally accompanied with a fueler to add some fuel which will be a welcome addition.

That was my first thought, "inspect" the cam chain tensioners.

Thank you everyone for the info, I will be looking into the timing chain issue. As for the slight ticking in the top end, I guess I will have to try and not be so anal retentive :) but I guess because of my aircraft technician background with the Canadian Air Force I assumed it was a sign of a potential problem. Thanks Again! Donut

Thank you everyone for the info, I will be looking into the timing chain issue. As for the slight ticking in the top end, I guess I will have to try and not be so anal retentive :) but I guess because of my aircraft technician background with the Canadian Air Force I assumed it was a sign of a potential problem. Thanks Again! Donut

Remember being air cooled, it is very common to hear noises from a Harley. Some liken a Harley especially the older ones to farm machinery.....

If your friend had the service work done at a HD shop or Independent shop maybe they could shed some light on it. The HD shop should have the records. Local indy. might them.
tourbox

Back