Harley Davidson Forums

Loading


Hello

Guest

Welcome to the harley davidson forum. Join our discussion today for FREE!

CREATE ACCOUNT

Membership Benefits

Get your questions answered by harley davidson community gurus and industry experts. Exchange your experience with another members. Access full features forum. Get a members discounts for your harley parts & accessories.

09 street glide

Touring Models

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 09:41 AM     #1
Warming The Wheels
Ride: 99flht
 
Join Date: May 22nd, 2010
Posts: 93
My Mood: My Mood
motor is an unknown quantity at this point
09 street glide

Looking at buying an 09 street glide with about 14000 miles .Are there any known issues with an 09 .Owner has installed se 254 cams a v&h pro pipe and a v&h Fuel processor? Bike has abs brakes and is in really nice looking condition .Any thing i should be concerned about .Any input appreciated
motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 11:14 AM     #2
Community Guru Wannabe
Ride: 2002 FLHT
 
dolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 8th, 2009
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 863
My Mood: My Mood
dolt will become famous soon enoughdolt will become famous soon enough
Re: 09 street glide

Quote: Originally Posted by motor View Post
Looking at buying an 09 street glide with about 14000 miles .Are there any known issues with an 09 .Owner has installed se 254 cams a v&h pro pipe and a v&h Fuel processor? Bike has abs brakes and is in really nice looking condition .Any thing i should be concerned about .Any input appreciated
First year of the new touring frame; better handling so they say but I have not ridden one to compare with my early FL. Not a fan of the 254 cams or the V&H FuelPak but the ProPipe is a good piece of hardware. Ride the bike and I don't mean a spin in the parking lot; get out on the higway and ride. If you don't detect any funny noises or excessive oil temps or vibration and the price is right; go for it. You can always change cams and tuner down the road if you want to.
dolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 11:22 AM     #3
Community Guru Wannabe
Ride: 2012 FLHTCUI
 
tourbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 28th, 2011
Location: So. Texas
Posts: 889
tourbox will become famous soon enoughtourbox will become famous soon enough
Re: 09 street glide

I have a 2012 FLHTCU and the handling is better than the '08 and and earlier. Another nice thing to consider is in '09 there were no Cats. in the head pipes. That came about in "10.
As dolt stated "ride the bike and if you like it and the price is right; go for it."
tourbox
tourbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 11:31 AM     #4
Moderators
Ride: 2008 Street Glide
 
Dr. Dolittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1st, 2008
Location: Woodstock, Georgia
Posts: 6,585
My Mood: My Mood
Dr. Dolittle is on a distinguished road
Re: 09 street glide

Found these:

Harley Davidson Touring Bike Progressive Model Changes* This Change List was submitted by SteveFLHTCI


2009 Harley-Davidson Tourers - Motorcyclist Magazine


There was also a safety recall on 2009 and 2010 models for a faulty fuel tank mount.
__________________
2008 Street Glide - SE Slip Ons - SE Stage I A/C - Hogtunes amp, speakers, and tweeter pod
Dr. Dolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 11:57 AM     #5
Contributor
Ride: FLHR 09/103"
 
BUBBIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 15th, 2008
Location: AZ, S.East corner/Western WA.
Posts: 4,685
My Mood: My Mood
BUBBIE has a spectacular aura aboutBUBBIE has a spectacular aura about
Love Re: 09 street glide

I have the First Year of the 09 TC *changes (*Many of them)

ASK IF the Original Compensator has been changed out.? I KNOW the design is a weak one. This usually is the culprit in Banging Back when starting and This is the NOISE most take as a Gun Shot while starting after Heat Soaked after a stop like Fueling up...

The SE unit I put in after my original Compensator of the 09 model year gave up, making Noise and Rattling and Kicking Back every start, (the Original no longer available from HD as they superce'd by the SE "A" and now maybe another unit that gets oil INTO the SE unit)

There was a Recall notice or Bulletin on the Brake sensor that was Blowing apart from the construction from a vender that needed replacing and done Yet for free, making an appointment with a HD shop. (can be checked "IF" replaced) by asking them to run the Vin number). Also the modified Gas Tank Plastic safety Shear pieces were also added at No Cost to the owner of the 09 model. (or ALL the ones using the 6 gallon fuel tanks)

Like said, the over 200 things changed in that New 09 model year.

I find the ride from the Wider "A" frame suspension GREAT. The wider tire on the rear of the 09 is a PLUS in my book...
Allowing for better ride & wear:
The wider rear tire last a long time and the front tire REVERSE tread design (changed to reversing the groove pattern from MY Thinking Correct to thinking of INcorrect pulling water into the center of the tire but LASTING Double of the original design of moving water away from the center of it ) BOTH tires (at least on mine) getting well about and beyond the 20,000 mile range.

Not coming with the good air-pump ? for the air-over-oil of the rear shocks. (buy one from HD for the 50$ as it is MADE especially for SAFELY pumping air into the rear shocks) My thinking is IT should have come as Stock with the needed air-pump tool...

Another Problem I had after 50,000 miles is with the TBW (throttle by wire) motor on the intake manifold. I replaced it recently with a 2012 intake manifold and ALL the components on it. (same size injectors also used for 800 mile take offs; all for 125$) CHEAP as HD wanted 300$ just for the manifold and NON repairable motor on the 09 model year,,,,, later '10 and up, Motors (TBW) are repairable or replaceable motor only)

I truly believe an OIL Cooler is a NEEDED unit to add IF none is on that bike.

I have really been HAPPY with MY 09 FLHR. The 09 model year comes Cat-free unless a Calif model.

Any other questions? ASK Away...

signed....BUBBIE
__________________
*************************
Quite Often I am Right so Forgive me when I'm WRONG!!!.......
BUBBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 12:18 PM     #6
Warming The Wheels
Ride: 99flht
 
Join Date: May 22nd, 2010
Posts: 93
My Mood: My Mood
motor is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 09 street glide

Quote: Originally Posted by BUBBIE View Post
I have the First Year of the 09 TC *changes (*Many of them)

ASK IF the Original Compensator has been changed out.? I KNOW the design is a weak one. This usually is the culprit in Banging Back when starting and This is the NOISE most take as a Gun Shot while starting after Heat Soaked after a stop like Fueling up...

The SE unit I put in after my original Compensator of the 09 model year gave up, making Noise and Rattling and Kicking Back every start, (the Original no longer available from HD as they superce'd by the SE "A" and now maybe another unit that gets oil INTO the SE unit)

There was a Recall notice or Bulletin on the Brake sensor that was Blowing apart from the construction from a vender that needed replacing and done Yet for free, making an appointment with a HD shop. (can be checked "IF" replaced) by asking them to run the Vin number). Also the modified Gas Tank Plastic safety Shear pieces were also added at No Cost to the owner of the 09 model. (or ALL the ones using the 6 gallon fuel tanks)

Like said, the over 200 things changed in that New 09 model year.

I find the ride from the Wider "A" frame suspension GREAT. The wider tire on the rear of the 09 is a PLUS in my book...
Allowing for better ride & wear:
The wider rear tire last a long time and the front tire REVERSE tread design (changed to reversing the groove pattern from MY Thinking Correct to thinking of INcorrect pulling water into the center of the tire but LASTING Double of the original design of moving water away from the center of it ) BOTH tires (at least on mine) getting well about and beyond the 20,000 mile range.

Not coming with the good air-pump ? for the air-over-oil of the rear shocks. (buy one from HD for the 50$ as it is MADE especially for SAFELY pumping air into the rear shocks) My thinking is IT should have come as Stock with the needed air-pump tool...

Another Problem I had after 50,000 miles is with the TBW (throttle by wire) motor on the intake manifold. I replaced it recently with a 2012 intake manifold and ALL the components on it. (same size injectors also used for 800 mile take offs; all for 125$) CHEAP as HD wanted 300$ just for the manifold and NON repairable motor on the 09 model year,,,,, later '10 and up, Motors (TBW) are repairable or replaceable motor only)

I truly believe an OIL Cooler is a NEEDED unit to add IF none is on that bike.

I have really been HAPPY with MY 09 FLHR. The 09 model year comes Cat-free unless a Calif model.

Any other questions? ASK Away...

signed....BUBBIE
Cool you and the other input
I appreciate all the info .I took bike to a hd dealer to have checked and they did mention brake sensor for nc.What are these fuel tank sheer shields you are talking about .Why is a cooler needed in your opinion on this.I do know some people that put them on any hd .I own a carbed 99 flht that i run hard that never seems to get very hot.What is the deal with 254 cams and is there a cam you'd recommend for someone that runs their stuff pretty hard and normally no passenger.Also any recommendations as to a fuel processor .I would like something i could tune if possible .How about the dobeck techlusion? Thanks ...I am buying the bike

Last edited by Dr. Dolittle; Jan 10th, 2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: minor language edit
motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 12:59 PM     #7
Contributor
Ride: FLHR 09/103"
 
BUBBIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 15th, 2008
Location: AZ, S.East corner/Western WA.
Posts: 4,685
My Mood: My Mood
BUBBIE has a spectacular aura aboutBUBBIE has a spectacular aura about
Devilish Re: 09 street glide

(IMO) EVERY Late Model TC RUNs HOT and is Lean out the door.

An Oil Cooler Like a Jagg with a Thermostatic control does the Job. HD has one also.
TC stroker motors have a 4.375 stroke...Piston and the wrist-pin is placed Upwards of 3/8 inch making the piston a shorter tuna can...
More Heat every year they modify the TC motors seem to be a Norm.
Your call "IF" you want a cooler BUT I strongly recommend using one.

I also Strongly recommend using REDLINE Oils. OR Full synthetics:
20/50 or 20/60 (more wear additives) in the engine.

MTL in the Primary Case.(Redline Primary Oil) My choice

ShockProof Heavy by Redline for the tranny (straight cut 5th gear Noise silencer) (10 and up models came with beveled cut 5th gear)

Why not Try your Fueler on that bike First. ONCE set and running Properly, no need to Re-adjust.

I run a HD Pro Tuner. I do My own Programming and it does work great (FOR ME). Lots to learn and HD tunner programs needed to work with a PC computer.

I don't see changing out your fueler until you see What it is doing...(Run-ability first)

signed....BUBBIE

ADDED:

I ALSO Work for FREE Here....
__________________
*************************
Quite Often I am Right so Forgive me when I'm WRONG!!!.......
BUBBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 03:04 PM     #8
Contributor
Ride: 2008 Electra Glide
 
dbmg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 4th, 2010
Posts: 4,747
My Mood: My Mood
dbmg will become famous soon enoughdbmg will become famous soon enough
Re: 09 street glide

Quote: Originally Posted by motor View Post
Looking at buying an 09 street glide with about 14000 miles .Are there any known issues with an 09 .Owner has installed se 254 cams a v&h pro pipe and a v&h Fuel processor? Bike has abs brakes and is in really nice looking condition .Any thing i should be concerned about .Any input appreciated
Nothing.......
If the price is right, fill with gas, and ride like the wind....
Enjoy.
__________________
Failure to plan on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part.
dbmg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 02:19 PM     #9
Warming The Wheels
Ride: 99flht
 
Join Date: May 22nd, 2010
Posts: 93
My Mood: My Mood
motor is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 09 street glide

Quote: Originally Posted by dbmg View Post
Nothing.......
If the price is right, fill with gas, and ride like the wind....
Enjoy.
Bought the bike .The price seemed right and i like it. I was kind of on the fence as to whether i really needed the upgrade from my current bike. The upgraded frame ,and the fact 2010 had cats ,sold me. I really like my old flht ,but will be selling to justify this bike.Thanks for the input
motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 02:22 PM     #10
Moderators
Ride: 2008 Street Glide
 
Dr. Dolittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1st, 2008
Location: Woodstock, Georgia
Posts: 6,585
My Mood: My Mood
Dr. Dolittle is on a distinguished road
Re: 09 street glide

Quote: Originally Posted by motor View Post
Bought the bike.
Congrats!

__________________
2008 Street Glide - SE Slip Ons - SE Stage I A/C - Hogtunes amp, speakers, and tweeter pod
Dr. Dolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
08 Street Glide 08 Electra Glide Fender jdscobee Touring Models 2 Jun 23rd, 2011 12:04 PM
o7 street glide front fender fit 06 electra glide ickysticky74 Touring Models 4 May 10th, 2011 09:15 PM
Street Glide to Night Glide almost complete freedom3503 General Harley Davidson Topic 9 May 9th, 2011 01:32 PM
Electra Glide Standard vs. Street Glide Drew Touring Models 25 Apr 12th, 2010 08:42 AM
Ultra-Limited Modified to Street Glide style or just get a Street Glide? Monolith Touring Models 19 Feb 7th, 2010 07:33 PM