Harley Davidson Forums

Loading


Hello

Guest

Welcome to the harley davidson forum. Join our discussion today for FREE!

CREATE ACCOUNT

Membership Benefits

Get your questions answered by harley davidson community gurus and industry experts. Exchange your experience with another members. Access full features forum. Get a members discounts for your harley parts & accessories.

Two compensator changes

Touring Models

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 05:30 PM     #1
Start The Engine
Ride: 2012 Ultra Limited
 
Join Date: Feb 21st, 2008
Location: Bowling Green , KY
Posts: 21
donee2shu is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry

Today I found the grinding, slamming, sound upon starting is cased by the compensator .....this same thing happened Nineteen months ago...so from purchase to first compensator change was 18 months, now from then to now has been 19 months , and the dealer or HD customer service has NO idea what is causing the problem! I maintain there HAS to be a causeitive problem ...anyone had this before and if so what was it ??? By the way, up to now I have NO problem with the dealer !!!! Also, once in a blue moon, pushing the starter button has zero results...............

Since buying bike in Feb. 2012 I am now on the second replacement of the compensator [2008 ultra]..Both have been badly worn and the engine , upon starting , hammered, banged , and knocked like heck!! Neither the dealer or H_D customer service offers any cause factors....just replace to the tune of hundreds of dollars!!!! First compensator lasted 18 months, the second one lasted 19 months and I don't think I should have to pay for new ones every 18-19 months....Has anyone had this problem and if so how was it resolved...Mine is a 2008 HD ultra classic with 52K miles on it.........Thanks!

Last edited by TQuentin1; Apr 11th, 2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Follow-on post
donee2shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 06:08 PM     #2
Community Guru Wannabe
Ride: 2007 Heritage
 
Join Date: Nov 21st, 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,072
My Mood: My Mood
Rubyred is on a distinguished road
Re: Two compensator changes

I believe that if we all did our due diligence this compensator would be on a government recall. I am not a big government guy but if you pay good money and you get the habitual "bang" on startup and HD's fix is a heavy duty compensator that tell me something is wrong with design. No matter the issue we should take the time to report these issues to. Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). This is my opinion and I will start doing this myself also.
Rubyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 06:11 PM     #3
Contributor
Ride: 2007 Streetbob
 
Jack Klarich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 25th, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 15,671
My Mood: My Mood
Jack Klarich has a spectacular aura aboutJack Klarich has a spectacular aura about
Re: Two compensator changes

Is this the stock or SE comp?
__________________
CAPITAL JACK( Nuff Said, We're Burnin Daylight, Let's Ride)
Jack Klarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 06:16 PM     #4
Community Guru
Ride: none
 
Join Date: Nov 3rd, 2007
Posts: 2,260
My Mood: My Mood
R. Lewis is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Two compensator changes in 3 years

Quote: Originally Posted by donee2shu View Post
Today I found the grinding, slamming, sound upon starting is cased by the compensator .....this same thing happened Nineteen months ago...so from purchase to first compensator change was 18 months, now from then to now has been 19 months , and the dealer or HD customer service has NO idea what is causing the problem! I maintain there HAS to be a causeitive problem ...anyone had this before and if so what was it ??? By the way, up to now I have NO problem with the dealer !!!! Also, once in a blue moon, pushing the starter button has zero results...............
Quote: Originally Posted by donee2shu View Post
Since buying bike in Feb. 2012 I am now on the second replacement of the compensator [2008 ultra]..Both have been badly worn and the engine , upon starting , hammered, banged , and knocked like heck!! Neither the dealer or H_D customer service offers any cause factors....just replace to the tune of hundreds of dollars!!!! First compensator lasted 18 months, the second one lasted 19 months and I don't think I should have to pay for new ones every 18-19 months....Has anyone had this problem and if so how was it resolved...Mine is a 2008 HD ultra classic with 52K miles on it.........Thanks!
I take that both of your posts are related to same bike? If so , your dates dont add up If purchased in Feb. of 2012? Did you buy the scoot from a HD dealer or individual?
R. Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 07:19 PM     #5
Account Removed
Ride: 2005 ultra classic/96ci stroker
 
Join Date: Feb 5th, 2012
Location: Centennial Colorado
Posts: 1,168
My Mood: My Mood
Jeff Klarich is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Two compensator changes in 3 years

Quote: Originally Posted by R. Lewis View Post
I take that both of your posts are related to same bike? If so , your dates dont add up If purchased in Feb. of 2012? Did you buy the scoot from a HD dealer or individual?
I agree, or maybe we're just confused! Guess I read it the same as you.
Jeff Klarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 12:19 PM     #6
Start The Engine
Ride: 2012 Ultra Limited
 
Join Date: Feb 21st, 2008
Location: Bowling Green , KY
Posts: 21
donee2shu is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Two compensator changes

The bike was bought from an HD dealer in Feb '09 and the first comp was stock while the second one was SE......Now the third will be an SE....Thanks all...............
donee2shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 10:14 PM     #7
Play The Throttle
Ride: 2008 Road King
 
Join Date: Oct 15th, 2008
Posts: 305
btsom is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Two compensator changes

What lubes have you been using in the primary so far?
btsom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 12:04 AM     #8
Start The Engine
Ride: 2010 Ultra Limited
 
Join Date: Oct 28th, 2009
Posts: 10
My Mood: My Mood
ultra limited is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Two compensator changes

2010 Ultra Limited with 24,000 miles. Compensator shot and making all kinds of racket when starting. Guess what 2011 all 103 motors went to se compensators. If you have a 2010 103 to bad so sad. Paid the same price as a 2011. Harleys customer services is bad at there best.
ultra limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 12:14 PM     #9
Start The Engine
Ride: 2012 Ultra Limited
 
Join Date: Feb 21st, 2008
Location: Bowling Green , KY
Posts: 21
donee2shu is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Two compensator changes

Quote: Originally Posted by btsom View Post
What lubes have you been using in the primary so far?
I have used nothing but Amsoil 20w50 motorcycle oil since draining factory oil at 1k miles. If anyone wants an "ear-full" of comp troubles, just Google "Harley Davidson compensator" and you'll get about 3+ pages to read about this same thing. It apparently started primarily with the 96cu. engines......But they have a real problem and they know about it too.........which is why supposedly all 103cu. motors come from the factory with the latest heavy duty SE comp! I just hope this latest of mine lasts as long as I keep the bike !
donee2shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 07:53 AM     #10
Community Star
Ride: 2010 Ultra Limited
 
glenalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 11th, 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 406
My Mood: My Mood
glenalt is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Two compensator changes

Took mine, 2010 Limited, to the dealer this week for a tire, brake switch recall and mentioned the bang on start up again. They are replacing with a SE at no charge for the upgrade. Nice!!
glenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
S/E Compensator badge171 Touring Models 6 Nov 22nd, 2010 10:06 AM
SE Compensator Kit kb5zqd Touring Models 16 Jun 26th, 2010 01:48 PM
Compensator nut trask714 Softail Models 0 May 9th, 2010 12:16 PM
SE compensator kit Bearcat-1 Transmission 19 Dec 10th, 2009 11:22 AM
IDS or SE COMPENSATOR? larry bart Touring Models 14 Dec 8th, 2009 06:15 AM