Harley Davidson Forums

Loading


Hello

Guest

Welcome to the harley davidson forum. Join our discussion today for FREE!

CREATE ACCOUNT

Membership Benefits

Get your questions answered by harley davidson community gurus and industry experts. Exchange your experience with another members. Access full features forum. Get a members discounts for your harley parts & accessories.

2009 rear wheel removal

Touring Models

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 07:46 AM     #21
Start The Engine
Ride: 09 electraglide
 
Join Date: Jun 21st, 2008
Posts: 21
My Mood: My Mood
mdnbiker is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2009 rear wheel removal

Thanks for the test run and the info
mdnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 10:06 PM     #22
New Family
Ride: 2009 Street Glide FLHX
 
Join Date: Dec 13th, 2008
Posts: 3
SG-rider is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2009 rear wheel removal

I removed rear wheel on my 2009 Streetglide to change my tire 2 days ago and also first had a problem in caliper clearing the wheel. What worked for me was to fully spread the brake pads as they remained in the caliper, that allowed it to clear the wheel and as was well.
SG-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 03:41 PM     #23
Start The Engine
Ride: 2009 FLHX Street Glide
 
Join Date: Mar 27th, 2009
Location: NE, Kansas
Posts: 18
My Mood: My Mood
karbar99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2009 rear wheel removal

Quote: Originally Posted by SG-rider View Post
I removed rear wheel on my 2009 Streetglide to change my tire 2 days ago and also first had a problem in caliper clearing the wheel. What worked for me was to fully spread the brake pads as they remained in the caliper, that allowed it to clear the wheel and as was well.
Just curious...what did you use to spread the pads (without damaging the pads) while in the caliper with minimal area to work?
karbar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 03:47 PM     #24
Moderators
Ride: 2008 Street Glide
 
Dr. Dolittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1st, 2008
Location: Woodstock, Georgia
Posts: 6,506
My Mood: My Mood
Dr. Dolittle is on a distinguished road
Re: 2009 rear wheel removal

Quote: Originally Posted by karbar99 View Post
Just curious...what did you use to spread the pads (without damaging the pads) while in the caliper with minimal area to work?
When you're replacing the pads, if my memory is correct you remove the cover from the reservoir so there's no resistance when pushing the pads in and they move pretty easily. A spackling tool or kitchen spatula (don't tell your wife) works fine. Just go slowly so you don't splash any brake fluid out of the reservoir.
__________________
2008 Street Glide - SE Slip Ons - SE Stage I A/C - Hogtunes amp, speakers, and tweeter pod
Dr. Dolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 04:57 PM     #25
New Family
Ride: 2009 Ultra Classic
 
Join Date: Sep 8th, 2010
Posts: 9
Nemick is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2009 rear wheel removal

Quote: Originally Posted by mdnbiker View Post
Now I can see where this could work as the It only needed a slight bit more of clearance to come off



If you didn't remove caliper or rotor how did you get tire changed?
Honestly, I just dropped the wheel out from underneath and took the new tire and the wheel (still mounted with old tire) to an indy just down the road. He swapped tires, balanced and gave it back to me with 15 minutes. I watched the whole thing and he certainly didn't remove the rotor. The caliper stayed on the bike.
Nemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 05:57 PM     #26
Play The Throttle
Ride: 2009 FLHTCU
 
bc45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2nd, 2010
Location: Kent, Washington
Posts: 205
bc45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2009 rear wheel removal

Quote: Originally Posted by Dr. Dolittle View Post
When you're replacing the pads, if my memory is correct you remove the cover from the reservoir so there's no resistance when pushing the pads in and they move pretty easily. A spackling tool or kitchen spatula (don't tell your wife) works fine. Just go slowly so you don't splash any brake fluid out of the reservoir.
You should open the bleeder screw so you do not force old crud and pressure backin system, also on ABS systems putting pressure in reverse direction has the possability of jamming one of the soleniods.
bc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 07:45 PM     #27
Contributor
Ride: 2007 Streetbob
 
Jack Klarich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 25th, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 16,313
My Mood: My Mood
Jack Klarich has a spectacular aura aboutJack Klarich has a spectacular aura about
Re: 2009 rear wheel removal

Quote: Originally Posted by bc45 View Post
You should open the bleeder screw so you do not force old crud and pressure backin system, also on ABS systems putting pressure in reverse direction has the possability of jamming one of the soleniods.
This is what we do in the Auto repair industry, not a bad idea here too IMO This would also give you the time to bleed the brakes and get some fresh fluid in there, another plus
__________________
CAPITAL JACK( Nuff Said, We're Burnin Daylight, Let's Ride)

Last edited by Jack Klarich; Oct 26th, 2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Adding info
Jack Klarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removal of wheel bearings trickydoc Touring Models 21 Aug 27th, 2010 11:53 PM
No wheel spacer inside rear wheel BKBagger99 Wheels 10 May 3rd, 2010 06:29 PM
rear wheel 2009 night train jakeots Softail Models 1 Apr 29th, 2009 05:01 PM
Rear wheel removal/install? Overcamber Wheels 0 Feb 27th, 2009 05:29 AM
Rear Wheel Alignment - Removal Bosbury1 Softail Models 8 Feb 22nd, 2009 09:44 PM