free website stats program Zippers Red shift 527 Cams | Harley Davidson Forums

Zippers Red shift 527 Cams

jbird

Looking at cams for my 2012 SG. I want something bolt-in with no other engine mods that produces good power and torque through the entire range. Zippers Red shift 527s have a pretty decent dyno curve. Is anyone running these? Or any suggestions on a good cam with power and torque? I ride through the entire RPM range so I want low end torque without sacrifice to the high end.

I haven't read anything bad about them other than they are a bit noisy. If you go for it I'd do the twin piston tensioners also. Let us know how they work for you.

IMHO..........

That is a lot of DROP in ccc just to use that cam...

Are you 96" or 103" Makes a BIG difference here...

Either way a big drop at 96" and less at 103 considering you are totally stock...
103 would Probably work okay... You'd have about 190# @ at sea-level

ME,

In a 96" motor,,,I would go with the 525 cam...

Yes the intake closes early at 18* but imagine the Power from MORE compression...

You say you do the full RPM range.

I KNOW of NO cam that will do BOTH sides of the RPM range WITHOUT head and piston work to make up for the lost compression...

On the 96"
I truly believe IF you go the other way (527) and ONLY keep it stock, You will be disappointed.

Cams are a Give and take... The527 intake Closes at 36* and you are Lowering the useful compression and needing to turn up the RPM's to get some power back..

I don't feel I would go with that 527... Stock cam closes at 30* and 18 would really give you Power and low end torque and ...

I use SE255's at 25* and I FEEL the power in my 103 build... IF your are at Sea Level you'll have some Grunt with 103 and 527's but when you go up in elevation POWER Will Really drop off.

There ar Other cams out there that would do you good... SnS 551 19*.....SnS 557 27*.... and SnS 583's ... 18*.....all have easy start features built into the cams. that you'd need being stock heads...

Just a LITTLE insight...

signed....BUBBIE

I haven't read anything bad about them other than they are a bit noisy. If you go for it I'd do the twin piston tensioners also. Let us know how they work for you.

Thanks for the feedback, how noisy is the top end with these? Would synthetic oil help with the noise? Any thoughts on the SE cams? Right now I'm looking at weighing out all of my options before pulling the trigger on anything. Thanks again.

IMHO..........

That is a lot of DROP in ccc just to use that cam...

Are you 96" or 103" Makes a BIG difference here...

Either way a big drop at 96" and less at 103 considering you are totally stock...
103 would Probably work okay... You'd have about ccc at sea-level

ME,

In a 96" motor,,,I would go with the 525 cam...

Yes the intake closes early at 18* but imagine the Power from MORE compression...

You say you do the full RPM range.

I KNOW of NO cam that will do BOTH sides of the RPM range WITHOUT head and piston work to make up for the lost compression...

On the 96"
I truly believe IF you go the other way (527) and ONLY keep it stock, You will be disappointed.

Cams are a Give and take... The527 intake Closes at 36* and you are Lowering the useful compression and needing to turn up the RPM's to get some power back..

I don't feel I would go with that 527... Stock cam closes at 30* and 18 would really give you Power and low end torque and ...

I use SE255's at 25* and I FEEL the power in my 103 build... IF your are at Sea Level you'll have some Grunt with 103 and 527's but when you go up in elevation POWER Will Really drop off.

There ar Other cams out there that would do you good... SnS 551 19*.....SnS 557 27*.... and SnS 583's ... 18*.....all have easy start features built into the cams. that you'd need being stock heads...

Just a LITTLE insight...

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the feedback Bubbie, I have a 103 and I'm about 650 ft above sea level. I would think that the higher compression on the stock configuration would be a little more lift friendly than in the 96. Did you do any head work or higher compression pisons on your build with the 255's? I'm new to this easy start that your talking about, it is lobed to start with out compression releases?

Thanks for the feedback Bubbie, I have a 103 and I'm about 650 ft above sea level. I would think that the higher compression on the stock configuration would be a little more lift friendly than in the 96. Did you do any head work or higher compression pisons on your build with the 255's? I'm new to this easy start that your talking about, it is lobed to start with out compression releases?

My heads and all were used Re-Built for my application. I had Don Dorfman, "Dewey's Heads" up in Wa state do mine...

Mostly with Good components and Blueprinted and PR valves installed. The Pistons were SE flat tops (nothing more than your stock ones now...

The SE 255 would be a LOT of starting pressure without PR valves in the heads..

I still would go with the SnS 551.

Much easier and You would Have a POWER House with out spending a ton of $$$..

You would need a set of SE taper adjustable Push-Rods.
(cut the old P-rods out)

You should change the Ina's (stock engine side cam bearings) (two of them)..

You can use your old lifter as they are the Best HD made in our 09 model year..."B" lifters.

KEEP them Directional..(rollers turning the same way and IN the SAME holes they came out of) ...

I would go there FIRST (SnS 551's) and I KNOW you'd be Happy with THAT set-up...

It is really hard for me to suggest "This" so strongly to anybody BUT I have a builder Friend that promotes JUST what I am telling YOU...

Prodrag1320 Kirby is that builder and he holds many world records with his MC racing... (Knows His Stuff)

He suggest this approach for the savgs of $$$ and the results are VERY good in a stock 103 build USING JUST this SnS 551 cam set..

IF you click on my name BUBBIE and look back at my old Post, You will find alot of things I have posted BEFORE and don't want to get involved in RE writing them here AGAIN..

Go Look..... Many there...
enough for now...

Let me Know what you decide to do...

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks again, Bubble, looks like the S&S 551's are pretty popular on touring bikes from reading on the web. Looks like I now know where I'm going.

What kind of compression relief valves? Manual or automatic?

One thing I never asked jbird.....DOES Your 103 have Auto-compression releases? I do Doubt any...as it probably came with the stock cams

Whole different Game in Choice of cams IF it does have auto's......

jennmar,

I have added manuals on my 09 King... it didn't come with,,, it being 96"...

Now talking about the SnS Easy Start cams.

They have a feature that holds the valves open for a second to allow the High pressure to drop JUST for starting... They return to normal valve operation when running.

I have No experience with them JUST a Lot of good builders/users saying they do work well.. Saves a lot of $$ work when Just installing cams...

Any cams that have early intake closing Boost ccc and that makes for hard starting. Not so much on a stock 96".... but on a stock 103' much higher compression is there. So the need is there...

My extra set of heads were up at Don's getting the manuals and other work to fit my build...

IF I had a 103 with No PR reliefs and wanted to ONLY do cams... My choice would be the SnS product with easy-start feature...

signed....BUBBIE

One thing I never asked jbird.....DOES Your 103 have Auto-compression releases? I do Doubt any...as it probably came with the stock cams

Whole different Game in Choice of cams IF it does have auto's......

signed....BUBBIE

No compression releases, it is a stock 103 with air cleaner, de-catted pipes, and tuner.

Back