free website stats program Zip Ties Work Wonders | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Zip Ties Work Wonders

Here are some zip ties that hold my Leatherman to the frame.
009.jpg

I use them everywhere. I keep my wiring close together, cables pulled to each other, holds my bell hanging from the frame. I have used them to keep wrenchs tied together to keep them from making noise on the bike. I could write a book on them, lol.

Yep, I agree, zip ties are great. They kept me from walking out of the woods in the mountain bike days many times. Best of all, I get them 'free' wink, wink, nod, nod. Compliments of work. 7" & 14". I used to get the little tiny ones, but they changed the to a different kind, kind of short, but I still keep a few of each handy. :s

Maybe it's the smog here in L.A., but I've found that zipties get brittle and snap after a few months, heat or no. Or, maybe it's the Harbor Freight brand of zipties!

Maybe it's the smog here in L.A., but I've found that zipties get brittle and snap after a few months, heat or no. Or, maybe it's the Harbor Freight brand of zipties!

It has to be the brand cause the ties that I "acquire" from work are really strong. Then again, I am sure they pay more for them as I work for a part of the government. :D

I think it has to do with the UV rays. I find it too if they are used outside for something that gets direct sun light, otherwise they are hard to break.

Glider you are right . It is about the UV rays.

In the job I used work at, we used Zip ties ranging from 3 inches to 24 inches in length.

The black ones were used outside (UV protection) and the grey ones were used inside (NO UV PROTECTION).

Dont assume all black zip ties are designed to withstand UV unless it says so on the package.

Glider you are right . It is about the UV rays.

In the job I used work at, we used Zip ties ranging from 3 inches to 24 inches in length.

The black ones were used outside (UV protection) and the grey ones were used inside (NO UV PROTECTION).

Dont assume all black zip ties are designed to withstand UV unless it says so on the package.

Dan / Glider --- you guy's are correct on the UV & color of zips'. in my line of work ,I sell them. 3m ,Thomas & Betts (T&B) and Ideal brands have good quality ones.

Dan / Glider --- you guy's are correct on the UV & color of zips'. in my line of work ,I sell them. 3m ,Thomas & Betts (T&B) and Ideal brands have good quality ones.

Oh boy, now we know who to get the ties from. I go through a ton of them.:bigsmiley20:

I keep zip ties in the tool bag as well as a few feet of tie wire. It comes in short rolls for a couple of dollars at hardware stores. Heat doesn't bother it and it sometimes works better than the ties. I remember many uses for baling wire down on the farm.

Back