free website stats program Your tips to clean combustion residue | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Your tips to clean combustion residue

I have pulled the heads off an engine with a blown head gasket. The piston and c/c were spotless from the steam cleaning that they got from the coolant.
kemo

The best way really is just to take the parts to a machine shop and have them hot tanked.

Negative; You can't hot tank aluminum parts (caustic soda). Hot tank with caustic soda will melt aluminum. Put them in old fashion carb cleaner overnight and they will be like new in the morning, or as mentioned above, gm makes a top end cleaner that you pour into the intake while running. follow the directions and the whole top end will be nice when done, otherwise don't worry about it. I have fixed many a carbon problem by using denatured alcohol and water in a spray bottle while the engine is running, just spay a fine mist for a few minutes at a fast idle and you can look in the spark plug hole and all will be nice and pretty. Why do you need to do this? if everything is carboned up then you are running waaaay too rich. Don't just address the result, find and fix the reason for the problem.----jack

Here in Texas due to the emissions testings alot of vehicles failed dut to high carbons in the exhaust. A fuel sytem cleaner by BG Products can be used to decarbonize the heads, valves and pistons. It's ran thru the intake while the vehicle is running. It does not hurt the engine and is the most cost effective way to decarbonize.

@jaxdwg :
Sorry i forgot to say it was due to a 2005 TC88 Valve Seal Stem problem. (one more victim).

@glyd-n :
i was told about sea foam too.

@kemo :
This method still scares me, i'm glad you didn't see any scratch or spot in the cylinders, piston, piston rings, valve guides, valve ring, etc ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of this,we used to hot tank the alluminum heads for the race car before we checked for cracks and re-planed them all the time.

I was making a point that under the old rules, hot tanking was done with caustic soda which will literally eat aluminum but nowadays there are heated cleaning systems that spray hot cleaner with a rotissary base that won't kill aluminum. I was just advising to be sure what is meant by "HotTank". I knew of a situation where a new kid was told to clean a blower housing and he put it in the "hot tank" and there was nothing left but a blob, "OUCH" I think I'm giving away my age, however, I have decarbonned many a combustion chamber with the denatured alcohol/water spray without any down side---jack

it was long but ! now it's good :D

BEFORE (with all methods failing)
p1020903k.jpg

AFTER (with copper brush on electric driller)
p1020944.jpg

Before you take it apart, with it running, useing a spray/mist bottle. Spray water into the throttlebody while you keep it running with the throttle. Do this with the motor warmed up for 4 to 5 minutes, it will loosen up a lot of what's in there and blow it out the exhaust. Do a oil change when your done with the repairs. Good luck

Main-e-axe post is just the thing for "non invasive" decarbonizing the combustion chambers. Glider made that suggestion a while back in the Self Help tips: :coffee

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/index.php/t-3634.html

i tried the water spay method but motor was crying and the throttle aperture was not wide enough to spray enough water.
Motor was very hot and i didn't wanted to torture it with opening wide for 5 minutes.
Then i gave up this method i did not succeed in using properly.

Back