free website stats program Your tips to clean combustion residue | Harley Davidson Forums

Your tips to clean combustion residue

fabrozor

Hi,
When you take the head off and you can see the head is black, valves are black, piston is black.
How do you safelly clean it all without scratching ?
I thought at presurised sand but i don't have this at home.
I thought at a flat screwdriver !?
I thought an electric driller with a metal rotating brush !?

What is your way to do it ?

Since your replacing seals it's all going to be apart, I would take them to someone that has a bead blaster or a good parts washer and pay acouple of bucks to have everything cleaned, just make sure all parts are marked and go back in the same holes and guides are clean, if I could not do that I would just leave them alone.

Got to be careful not to scratch or gouge the material, 3M makes soft plastic discs for aluminum, most auto parts carry them easy with a rotary tool

Try some carb and choke cleaner. Use a soft brush or some fine scotch brite to scrub with. The valves are very hard but the aluminum is very soft and will scratch easely.:)

Before you take it apart, with it running, useing a spray/mist bottle. Spray water into the throttlebody while you keep it running with the throttle. Do this with the motor warmed up for 4 to 5 minutes, it will loosen up a lot of what's in there and blow it out the exhaust. Do a oil change when your done with the repairs. Good luck

@maine-e-axe : it's surely a very effective method but i wouldn't want the removed material to work in the combustions chamber while valves are moving and piston going up and down in the cylinders, waiting for the material to pass through the exit door. I think i'll clean once parts will be cold and in my hands.

I had my heads bead blasted when I pulled them. The carbon on top of the piston is not a big deal but if you're pulling your jugs you could have them blasted as well.

Before you take it apart, with it running, useing a spray/mist bottle. Spray water into the throttlebody while you keep it running with the throttle. Do this with the motor warmed up for 4 to 5 minutes, it will loosen up a lot of what's in there and blow it out the exhaust. Do a oil change when your done with the repairs. Good luck

This does work we have used the water to decarbon car engines for years with no ill effects, the water beaks down the carbon and out the exhaust it goes, remember to go slow with the water and keep the rpm up

Thanks for this information but i find this process a bit too brutal in my opinion.
As i said above it's surely a very effective method but i wouldn't want the removed residue to work in the combustions chamber while valves are working and piston going up and down against the cylinders walls, ... the removed black residue waiting there to pass through the exit door (exaust valve).

Back