free website stats program YOUR Suggestions For The BEST Western USA Rides. | Harley Davidson Forums

YOUR Suggestions For The BEST Western USA Rides.

BuzzCap7

Your help is needed.

I am inundated with ALL of the great rides in western USA so I am going to narrow the field......

Parameters:
NORTH of I-10
SOUTH of I-90
EAST (not including) of California
CENTRAL USA and WESTWARD

Excluding: Moki Dugway, OMG Highway, Million $ Highway, Route 66, Spearfish and Mt. Evans and NO biker events like Sturgis.

Figuring no time limit but a ride sometime around May-August.

Here is the question with the above parameters......what would you say are the 2-3 absolutely MUST RIDE "rides of a lifetime" that I (or any biker) abolsutley MUST ride.

Your input has always been great so THANK YOU in advance!!

BuzzCap7

I just got back from colorado last week everyone should in there lifetime ride from canon to salida (spelling) on hi way 50 in southern co this is the road that goes around royal gourge,the bridge cost 25$ to ride across we looked at it but didnt ride it wait time to cross the bridge on a saturday was almost an hour,no thanx,but hi way 50 follows the river and is breathtaking one of the best rides ive ever done..

Man, you really opened things up with your request.

Some rides that I recommend:

Colorado:

1 Over the San Juan Mountains via Lizard Head Pass from Dolores to Ridgway on Hwy 145. You'll follow an old narrow gauge railroad grade most of the way. This canyon is not as developed as some of the others in Colorado.

2 Over Slumgullion Pass from South Fork through Creede to Gunnison via Hwy 149. Look for the rock strata that reminded the miners of Slumgullion stew, and figure out why, since the strata is yellow.

3 The loop starting at Gunnison; west on I 50, north on Hwy 92 to Hotchkiss, north on Hwy 133 over McClure Pass to Carbondale and Glenwood Springs. Stay at the lodge at the hot springs pool and take in the pool. Side ride, up and back down Glenwood Canyon on I-70, about 30 miles, to see a spectacular canyon and the engineering behind the highway. Hike to Hanging Lake if you have the time.

South on Hwy 82 through Aspen to Independence Pass and south to I 50 and over Monarch Pass to Gunnison. Actually, you can get on the loop in several places and all are good, just recommended Gunnison as an example.

New Mexico

4 Antonito, CO, to Chama on Hwy 17 over Cumbres Pass. Check the narrow gauge railroad schedule for their times so you can see the trains in operation.

Utah

5 Catch the southern Utah National Parks and Monuments in any order, Zion NP to Cedar Breaks NM to Bryce Canyon NP is a good start. Then take Hwy 12 from Bryce through Escalante and over Boulder Mountain, skirting the new Grand Staircase NM, to Torrey and Capital Reef NP to Hanksville, then south on Hwy 95 to Natural Bridges NM.

Arizona

6 Take Hwy 191 from Clifton to Springerville. You'll ride from high barren desert past an immense open pit copper mine, and up through pinon/juniper forest to high country timber and meadows. This area is remote and was chosen for wolf reintroduction several years ago. No services until you reach Alpine. The northern section is in the area of the biggest wild fire in Arizona's history, the Wallow Fire, which burned this summer.

This used to be Hwy 666 and this stretch was called the "Devil's Highway" for all the twists and turns. There used to be a sign saying the speed limit was 15 mph for the next 25 miles but expect to take it slowly regardless.

These are just starting ideas. There are lots of destination rides, like to Monument Valley, Salt River Canyon, Tortilla Flats for lunch, Moab for the canyons and mountain biking, Durango to Silverton.

Good luck. :cheers

I just got back from colorado last week everyone should in there lifetime ride from canon to salida (spelling) on hi way 50 in southern co this is the road that goes around royal gourge,the bridge cost 25$ to ride across we looked at it but didnt ride it wait time to cross the bridge on a saturday was almost an hour,no thanx,but hi way 50 follows the river and is breathtaking one of the best rides ive ever done..

Is that $25.00 or $00.25 cents?

BuzzCap7

Man, you really opened things up with your request.

Some rides that I recommend:

Colorado:

1 Over the San Juan Mountains via Lizard Head Pass from Dolores to Ridgway on Hwy 145. You'll follow an old narrow gauge railroad grade most of the way. This canyon is not as developed as some of the others in Colorado.

2 Over Slumgullion Pass from South Fork through Creede to Gunnison via Hwy 149. Look for the rock strata that reminded the miners of Slumgullion stew, and figure out why, since the strata is yellow.

3 The loop starting at Gunnison; west on I 50, north on Hwy 92 to Hotchkiss, north on Hwy 133 over McClure Pass to Carbondale and Glenwood Springs. Stay at the lodge at the hot springs pool and take in the pool. Side ride, up and back down Glenwood Canyon on I-70, about 30 miles, to see a spectacular canyon and the engineering behind the highway. Hike to Hanging Lake if you have the time.

South on Hwy 82 through Aspen to Independence Pass and south to I 50 and over Monarch Pass to Gunnison. Actually, you can get on the loop in several places and all are good, just recommended Gunnison as an example.

New Mexico

4 Antonito, CO, to Chama on Hwy 17 over Cumbres Pass. Check the narrow gauge railroad schedule for their times so you can see the trains in operation.

Utah

5 Catch the southern Utah National Parks and Monuments in any order, Zion NP to Cedar Breaks NM to Bryce Canyon NP is a good start. Then take Hwy 12 from Bryce through Escalante and over Boulder Mountain, skirting the new Grand Staircase NM, to Torrey and Capital Reef NP to Hanksville, then south on Hwy 95 to Natural Bridges NM.

Arizona

6 Take Hwy 191 from Clifton to Springerville. You'll ride from high barren desert past an immense open pit copper mine, and up through pinon/juniper forest to high country timber and meadows. This area is remote and was chosen for wolf reintroduction several years ago. No services until you reach Alpine. The northern section is in the area of the biggest wild fire in Arizona's history, the Wallow Fire, which burned this summer.

This used to be Hwy 666 and this stretch was called the "Devil's Highway" for all the twists and turns. There used to be a sign saying the speed limit was 15 mph for the next 25 miles but expect to take it slowly regardless.

These are just starting ideas. There are lots of destination rides, like to Monument Valley, Salt River Canyon, Tortilla Flats for lunch, Moab for the canyons and mountain biking, Durango to Silverton.

Good luck. :cheers

Wow, very extensive. Will check ALL of ti out. TY for taking the time and effort!

BuzzCap7

Sorry for the spelling,it now cost twenty five dollars to ride across the royal gourge,the area on both sides is like an amusement park $25.00 per person to enter the park,I guess then you can walk across the bridge all ya want..

Back